Sharing storage, no network

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sharing storage, no network
# 1  
Old 10-31-2005
Sharing storage, no network

Does anyone know of any way to share storage between 2 machines without networking?

I have a server that is constantly connected to a VPN that cuts off network access to every non-VPN network. This presents a problem when I have to transfer big files off of that server on to my internal network.

Is there a way I could transfer that data to a storage device that could be accessed by another server that has internal network connectivity? Not looking for a native Linux/Unix solution, if there is something that could be purchased, that would work too.

Thanks.
# 2  
Old 10-31-2005
Use a floppy or writable cd/dvd.
# 3  
Old 10-31-2005
Not very condusive to automation and scripting. Anything else?
# 4  
Old 10-31-2005
The "no network" stipulation rules out damn near everything except communication via serial ports. Why can't you put your computer on the VPN?
# 5  
Old 10-31-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
The "no network" stipulation rules out damn near everything except communication via serial ports.
Not true. Communication via serial ports is ruled out as well.

Quote:
A few definitions of network
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network: "A wide variety of systems of interconnected components are called networks."
www.starrsites.com/glossary.htm: "A connection of two or more computers so that they can share resources."
www.utas.edu.au/library/etutor/main/webzglos.htm: "A group of computers, connected by a telecommunications link, that share information."
# 6  
Old 10-31-2005
If you have a shared storage box, may be you could setup something like business copy between the two? This is actually shared storage, and I dont think that you need to share a network.
# 7  
Old 10-31-2005
Maybe I should have said anything excluding TCP/IP. I thought about serial for a few seconds, but I don't want to transfer > 1GB over 38400 baud. I just thought there may be something out there that allows the sharing of local media over USB or firewire. I'm no expert on the technology, but it seems like there should be something like that out there.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing a network mount preferably with NFS

Hello, I would like to share a 9p (Plan 9) passthrough/share to a VM via NFS (using a guest as an NFS server to share a directory from the host) At the moment I am getting the error message: 'exportfs: /share does not support NFS export'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scratch
2 Replies

2. AIX

Sharing a tape drive across the network.

I'm building a new server that doesn't have an internal tape drive. It is running 5.3ML8. I have another server running 5.1ML9 that has an LTO1 drive I'd like to share. Is this possible, or should I look into twin-tailing it, if that's even supported anymore. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommysalami
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

Printer Sharing on a Mixed(Windows/Linux) Home Network

Sometimes you get the tiger...but sometimes he get you and this latest home network “project” of mine has gnawed on me pretty badly. Perhaps you can offer some technical help. It will be heartily appreciated. I have a small home network initially comprising two computers running Windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Annatar
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on three of my servers (PIII - 233MHz) and want that they share a common IP address so that any request made reaches each of the servers. Can anyone suggest how should I setup my LAN. I'm new to networking in Linux so please elaborate and would be thankful for a timely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All... I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated. I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only. Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC. As... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Merlyn
10 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question