Help with Unix file rename

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with Unix file rename
# 1  
Old 11-25-2011
Help with Unix file rename

Hi All,
I have a unix file which is ceated with variable name, for example:
FIRST_FILE_3456 and next time it will be FIRST_FILE_3457 and so on.
I need to rename this file like PREV_FIRST_FILE_XXXX where XXXX is the variable part of the file FOR Example 3456 or 3457, etc.
Please help to accomplish it.

Thanks....
# 2  
Old 11-25-2011
You don't mention your OS flavour but if you have the Perl-based rename command try this:

Code:
rename 's/FIRST_FILE_/PREV_FIRST_FILE_/' FIRST_FILE_*

# 3  
Old 11-25-2011
Thanks Verdepollo.
We are using "AIX" and rename command doesn't work.
# 4  
Old 11-25-2011
Code:
for f in FIRST_FILE_????; do mv "$f" "PREV_${f}"; done

# 5  
Old 11-25-2011
Similar to verdepollo but allowing for funny filenames (e.g. with spaces)
and large numbers of files which will easily break a "for" in AIX.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh
ls -1d FIRST_FILE_* 2>/dev/null | while read filename1
do
       # Prepend "PREV_" to new filename
       filename2="PREV_${filename1}"
       # Rename the file
       mv "${filename1}" "${filename2}"
done

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename a file even when it shows permission Denied in Unix

While executing a script, I am not being able to able to create a file as the file with the same name already exists. That existing file is not getting overwritten as I am not the owner of the file. So, Neither am I able to rename the file nor delete the existing file, so as to get my file created.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haimanti
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Command to rename a file in a zipped folder

Hi, I am into automation work. Is there any UNIX command to rename a file in a zipped folder, without unzipping it..??? Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Victoria.Sam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file sequencially in UNIX

I need to be able to look for the last file in a dirctory in UNIX, the file satrt with EFT so this work file=$(ls -tr $EFT*.dat | tail -1) # Select the latest file my last file is EFT1234.dat then I need to be able to get a file that I just ftp and rename with this name EFT1234.dat but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX/AIX handles a file deep down, say it's being read while another one tries to rename it?

Hi Thinkers, On AIX 5.3, we have a monitor program that reads the log file and searching for a certain string pattern that we define(say "transactionException"), if it sees it then it will raise an alert by sending an email. Because the log file XXX.log is rolling into XXX.log.0, XXX.log.1,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/rename file as date() unix/shell

File.jpg I want to copy and rename this as 2008-12-02.jpg I tried this copy File.jpg date '%y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S'.jpg This doesnt work.... what do i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hdogg
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Unix] a dos style rename wont work

Hey guys i'm creating a dos style rename script, so if a user types say q14.* as the 1st param and b14.* as the 2nd and will rename all q14 files to b14 but keep the extensions, so i've developed nearly the full script "i think", if i use echo(echo "if $1 had been renamed it would now be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fblade1987
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix rename

Whats the command in unix to do this ; rename a bunch (3000) of files called ; 0001.jpg 0002.jpg 0003.jpg 0004.jpg to 0001_LRG.jpg 0002_LRG.jpg 0003_LRG.jpg etc. i.e. adding the extension _LRG to the end of the filename ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: signprint
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How Do I rename a unix file contianing spacing?

How can I rename a unix file that has a spacing in in the charactyers? For example, I want to rename or move a file called "My OldFile.txt" to "MyNewFile.txt" or "My_New_file.txt" Please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankyranky
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question