Non-gui equivalent to SMC Management Console?

Operating Systems Solaris Non-gui equivalent to SMC Management Console?
# 1  
Old 03-14-2008
Non-gui equivalent to SMC Management Console?

Forgive my naievety, but is there a non-Gui version of the administration tool, SMC?

I need to run this on a remote Putty login and it is just plain UNIX.
When I invoke SMC, I get java.lang.ClassLoader errors, a bunch of jibberish and a root prompt.

I have searched Google, seems as if it doesn't exist.............
# 2  
Old 03-14-2008
install an X11 server (xming...) and enable the the x11 forwarding in ssh and putty...
# 3  
Old 03-14-2008
DukeNuke,

Are you referring to a process or service that could be loaded?
Is there any record anywhere as to how to do this?
# 4  
Old 03-14-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpas
Is there any record anywhere as to how to do this?
download xming (or any other free xserver for windows) and install it. after that enable x11 forwarding in your sshd conf file (/etc/ssh/sshd_conf), restart sshd and you are done. putty has an option for x11 (left side ssh , x11 options...).
thats all,
DN2
# 5  
Old 03-17-2008
I have xming downloaded and installed, have x11 forwarding enabled in both Putty and in the /etc/sshd/sshd_conf file.
When I launch Xlaunch however, and start a program/connection using Putty, I get the Xwindow screen, a login prompt, and then after
logging in the Xwindow box disappears and the program closes.

The application apparently bails. There is no orphaned process or running application I can see.

Has anyone done this successfully before? I'm sure there is probably something I am missing, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by jeffpas; 03-17-2008 at 12:48 PM..
# 6  
Old 03-17-2008
try to start something like xclock... or smc directly. why use a graphical login?
# 7  
Old 03-17-2008
Thats exactly what I wanted.

A way to run SMC directly, without the graphical GUI.
But smc won't launch off the character based command line via Xming, I get java errors same as before.
I assumed this wasn't the way, and that Xlaunch must be invoked.

Maybe it's a flag off the command line?
No manual page- I don't know if there is any character-based admin tool in Solaris.
If so it's not discussed much on the web.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

When connecting to HPUX gui console it is grey screen?

My screen is grey when i connect to gui console (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies

2. SCO

Console GUI kicks me after 30 seconds. Licensing issue?

I have two SCO servers. On one I can logon to the gui via console with no problem. However, on the other I can logon to the gui but after a few seconds it kicks me back out to the prompt. I asked previous admin about this and he seems to think its a license issue? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: herot
7 Replies

3. Red Hat

implement management console

HI All, I have 5 linux Servers in my DC. Now I need to install Management console for all these servers, Can any one guide me , what are all the necessary things needed to do this and any steps to be followed. Thanks in advance, JeganR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
2 Replies

4. Solaris

SMC web console

Dear Team please some body know what happened with smcwebconsole from Solaris10 to Solaris11 I don't found this script or Don't find in svcs -a please if some body know any think about this issue to tell us best, :p (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hosam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Configure wifi throught console problem, GUI is OK

Hi gurus, I am trying to connect to wifi access point with terminal, I set up my own access point (no encryption or MAC filters) I ran followings commands $ sudo iwlist eth1 scanning eth1 Scan completed : Cell 01 - Address: 00:11:2F:A2:99:1C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakatana
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Red stop signs in Solaris Management Console 2.1

I've installed Solaris 10 (x86 8/07) on a Dell PowerEdge 2950. When I bring up the Solaris Management Console I get red stop sign looking icons on all areas (System Status, System Configuration, Services, Storage, and Devices and hardware) under This computer. Originally nothing was showing up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kayroreality
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Error while adding a new user using Solaris Management Console.

Hi All, I am adding a new user by using Solaris Manamement Console after Remotely Access through Xmanager 1.3.9. But after completing all steps its through an error as follows. The Actual Error Reported was : The management Domain file :/abc/abc do not exist or can not be managed on abc. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: response_manu
0 Replies

8. Debian

misc : console & pakage management

Two unrelated questions here: 1/ In debian, is it possible to change the font and resolution of the console (not xterm)? 2/ still in debian, how can you know what packages have been installed ? I'm thinking to something similar to pkg_info on FreeBSD. thx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jad
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question