Throw my Toys out of the Pram!

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Throw my Toys out of the Pram!
# 1  
Old 07-24-2012
Network Throw my Toys out of the Pram!

Hi Folks,

Today hasn't been the best one of my career in IT.

I've been a contractor for a major utility company for a number of years, on a number of seperate IT contracts mostly Unix. The company had 10 different flavours of unix and multiple different varsions of most of them.

At the time of my arrival they had;

Code:
SunOS (The old one)	Sun		SPARC
Solaris			Sun		SPARC
OSF1			DEC		ALPHA
Dynix (SVR3)		Fujitsu		RISC
DGUX (SVR4)		DG		M88000 & X86
HPUX			HP		PA RISC
SCO			SCO		X86
AIX			IBM		Power 5
OS/x			Pyramid	        RISC
DC/OSx	                Pyramid	        MISC

We experimented with some versions of Linux and implemented some versions, these went into production on IBM X235 and X245 Servers using Suse 7.3 and 8.3.

In the intervening years we have gone through E10K, F12K, F15K, we had P590, P690 and now P7XX (I no longer am on the AIX team), on the Solaris side we have M Series and T Series - I even got to play with a Sun AT7280 Series server.

Gradually the different flavours of Unix have gone, we are down to AIX, Solaris and Linux now. We have massively upgraded our kit to Power7 and M Series Sparc for grunt, we have V-MAX, DMX and Clariion disk back end we have one system with 118 CPU's, 1.7Tb of Memory and Several tens of Tb of disk but it's not as much fun as it used to be.

Almost all our applications have been virtualised, the recovery time for any problem is minimal - a recent Disaster Rehearsal showed that it onlt took minutes to recover a 3Tb database and implement it on a new server. But we seem to be bogged down in process, we generate thousands more reports, everything takes twice as long as expected and our principal customer still thinks that we provide a poor service because they are doing ten times as much as they were ten years ago.

And just a few minutes ago when I logged into my Oracle acount, they wanted to give me a free copy of Cloud Architecture for Dummies! That was the final straw for today - going home! Hope the data center catches fire!!!!!
This User Gave Thanks to gull04 For This Post:
# 2  
Old 07-24-2012
Did you stop for a couple of pints on the way home? Ah ha, you have wi fi at the pub, and are still logged in...very good.
# 3  
Old 07-25-2012
I did stop for a couple of pints on the way home, have mobile 3G broadband - which is presumably why it thinks I've moved to Essen in Germany when in fact I'm at this moment sitting in Leeds.
# 4  
Old 07-25-2012
Thanks for making us smile && Don't forgot to go out and have more "off-line" fun!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Debug3 messages throw in my terminal

OS: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 shell : /sbin/sh Messages like "debug3: Wrote 48 bytes for a total of 15837" are thrown in my terminal after each key stroke. If I try to type a command such message appears after each character I type. If I simply press enter messages like below appear. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: black_fender
1 Replies

2. Programming

C++ - 'try, throw, catch' compare to regular C-style 'if' - advantages?

(I have long gap to communicate with C++ and do not recall if I have used 'try-catch' at all; so, looking for advice...) I am trying to understand what the benefits of using that C++ error handling style compare to regular C-style 'if-then'? Still in the try{} block need to do some 'if()' to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search line with more than two dots if so throw error

Hi, I have a requirement like i have to search a script and find names that conatins more than two dots, if so then throw error. For ex: a1.b1.comname here i have to find comname and check two dots. it will not throw error a1.b1.c1.comname here it contains more than 2dots it will throw... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swagat123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Command in the script throw error

Hi I have script that is developed to serch for 30 days old Directory & Files and then remove them ... when i run it successfully removes the Directory & files & but it throw errors on the screen .. .. + find . -type f -mtime +30 -exec rm -f {} ; + exit please help me ?? I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beginner123
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if a file is empty throw an error

I want to count the number of lines in a file and store it in a variable if this count is zero i hv to throw an error ...is this syntax correct , but i am not getting the desired result I am not using -s option here as i am concerned about record count not the size #!/bin/ksh set $count1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

throw a generic message upon error

hi all, in ksh, is there a way to throw a generic error message. i have lots of commands in my script and i didnt want to put if ; then doStuff(); else print "an error occured, please run script again"; fi around all the commands used. is there a way detect a command has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop throw perl regexp selection

hello all i have string that i need to parse something list that : <form name="CustomerStatus" action="<% env.GetURI %>" method="post"<$if(blah)%> name="<% env.get("StatusList") %>" ><% hello %><input type="hidden" name="<% env.get("Operation") %>" value=""> now im selecting the the string... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question