Any backdoors?

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Any backdoors?
# 1  
Old 10-06-2003
Any backdoors?

Hello All:

I left an important file on my computer in Montana (I'm in Arizona). It is running Mac OS 10.2.7. For some reason it appears file sharing is off, I don't understand how that happened because I have logged in remotely before. Can someone please tell me if there is any way to use Terminal.app or the command line to try and get in this computer and get this file....it is REALLY important! I am pretty sure I have root enabled, so does that help at all? If any of you can give someway to backdoor this thing and turn file sharing on or just to get that file until I go back there in December I would be willing to give a little $$$$$ for the knowledge!! Thanks a lot guys....

john.
# 2  
Old 10-06-2003
Did you leave any rlogin-like daemons running?

try SSHing and Telneting to your box.
# 3  
Old 10-06-2003
This is really a continuation of slogin vs. login, can i open port 22, etc...

That's the trouble with starting a new thread...Karma is covering old ground.

We would help you if we could and our service is free, no payment required.

But we limit ourselves to helping you in the front door. This is not a hacking site and we do not compromise security here.

If your front door is closed, and its starting to look that way, this isn't going to work for you.

Do you have anyone who can unplug your system and ship it to you? If not, your last option may be to buy a plane ticket, fly up, grab your files, and fly back. You will need to decide if they are that valuable.
# 4  
Old 10-07-2003
hmmmm...let's see

Hey Perderabo-

If I was trying to hack how would I know that root is enabled? Also, what good would it do me to know a port without a username and password - mine in this case. Also, I was willing to pay $$$$ to someone to save the money of a plane ticket. My other house is in Whitefish, MT and there are 4 or 5 flights A DAY in TOTAL in and out of there so tickets are quite expensive. So relax, quit being so paranoid and let someone offer alittle help if they have it you putz...

we now join our regularly scheduled program already in progress....
# 5  
Old 10-07-2003
First scan the box. If you find FTP, telnet, SSH, or anything else that you can use to remotely login, then go ahead and use that.
# 6  
Old 10-08-2003
Quote:
If I was trying to hack how would I know that root is enabled?
Oh boy.

If you intend on sticking around these parts, you might want to avoid the use fo this term or requesting ny information regarding the subject, unless you're on the other side of the coin.

Many forum members are 'hackers' (almost everyone here can be classified as a hacker, depending on which of any horridly mutilated definitions of the word are used), but they get along with the mods just fine by keeping their moths shut.

Quote:
That's the trouble with starting a new thread...Karma is covering old ground.
Very old ground.... maybe we could have big, flashy signs and arrows that point to 'search' Smilie

Quote:
So relax, quit being so paranoid and let someone offer alittle help if they have it you putz
Forget what i said earlier... if your account hasn't already been disabled, i suggest make a new one if you want to stay here, because you've just set yourself down the wrong path.
# 7  
Old 10-08-2003
Re: hmmmm...let's see

Quote:
Originally posted by jellegard
So relax, quit being so paranoid and let someone offer alittle help if they have it you putz...
Seems as though you are the 'putz' for leaving such an important file hundreds of miles away on a computer without taking any contingency measures. If the file was so important you'd think you would have the sense NOT to rely upon the network or the machine to provide access - just in case either goes down or experiences problems.

Next time try and put your important files on hard media, such as a Floppy, CD, DVD, Tape - whatever, just so you are prepared when something like this happens and you're not made to look like a fool.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

1 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backdoors etc

Hi all Is there a way I can detect and monitor backdoors that may be present on a system? I want to see how users can come in and if possible log their IPs and ban them from the system altogether. Also, is there a way other than cron and at to have a script start off a program? I can see a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question