Operating Systems Linux Red Hat New kernel Issue
# 1  
Old 10-16-2006
Data New kernel Issue

root@pr [~]# iptables -L
modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
iptables v1.2.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded

Seems that iptables module not loaded. I am using new kernel 2.6.17.9

How to fix this probelm?

Prashant,
# 2  
Old 10-16-2006
Did you compile the kernel or upgrade in standard way for your distribution?

What distro are you using?

have you tried depmod?
# 3  
Old 10-17-2006
Actually i have 7 servers. I am using redhat,centos & Fedora. I am compiling the new kernel manually. Through upgarde you cannot install kernel 2.6.17.9

Please let me know how to fix this issue.

Prashant,

Last edited by prashant_ohol; 10-17-2006 at 05:23 PM..
# 4  
Old 10-17-2006
Did you 'make modules_install' after compiling the kernel? I did warn you there'd be incompatibilities...
# 5  
Old 10-18-2006
Quote:
root@pr [~]# iptables -L
That error is related to the appropriate module no compiled either into kernel or as module ...
when you are building a new kernel check whether you have the options you wanted checked to be built (into kernel or as module) and as said earlier do
Code:
make modules ; make modules_install

# 6  
Old 10-18-2006
I have done the following steps in kernel compilation.

make menuconfig
In menu config i have selected the iptables.

make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
make install

Let me know.

Prashant

Last edited by prashant_ohol; 10-18-2006 at 08:36 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Compilation Issue

I have installed ubuntu 11.04 on my system. After this when I used to give uname -r it showed me kernel version as 2.6.38. Now I had downloaded kernel 2.6.34.12 from kernel.org and installed it using the following steps: make make modules make modules_install make install This created... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Centos 4 32 bit - New kernel ethX MAC address order issue

I have compiled a new kernel (3.2.9) for centos 4/5/6 servers. There is an issue with the centos 4, 32 bit servers. The kernel changes the order in which the MAC address is determined and because of this the server network does not come up as the wrong MAC address are assigned. Even if we specify... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
6 Replies

4. Programming

A system hang issue in porting an old fs to kernel 2.6.32.*

Hi, I ported a file system from Kernel version 2.6.18.* to 2.6.32.46 as VFS implementation has changed and prepare_write/commit_write are replaced by write_begin/write_end pairs. Implemented the feature by writing a wrapper for write_begin and write_end and calling original functions for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Issue with kernel patch installation...

I tried to install the kernel patch 118855-36 in my x86 machine which has Solaris 10 installed. Find below the error message.... #patchadd 118855-36 Checking patches that you specified for installation. Done! Approved patches will be installed in this order: 118855-36 Executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paventhan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel functions issue!

Hello All, I'm new to linux programming and this is my first post.I am porting ethernet driver from Linux2.4 to Linux2.6 for Xscale, after modifications I am able to install the driver. Now when i assign the address to my device using ifconfig, kenerl is going to panic. Stack trace is showing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineykr
0 Replies

8. Linux

kernel functions issue!

Hello All, I'm new to linux programming and this is my first post.I am porting ethernet driver from Linux2.4 to Linux2.6 for Xscale, after modifications I am able to install the driver. Now when i assign the address to my device using ifconfig, kenerl is going to panic. Stack trace is showing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineykr
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

kernel compilation: ncurses issue

Hi, While trying to build the linux kernel - 2.6.24.2, i get the following error message during initial phase(make menuconfig) : scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory <=== In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24: It seems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit4g
1 Replies

10. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question