how to find whether a file is local or remote file?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to find whether a file is local or remote file?
# 1  
Old 07-09-2007
how to find whether a file is local or remote file?

Is there any system call to find whether a file is local or remote??

Thanks in advance!!

-Jack Fds
# 2  
Old 07-09-2007
You can look at the output of the df command.

For example, remote filesystems will be list as nfs (network file system).
# 3  
Old 07-09-2007
thanx Neo! Its true that df command would help but i m interested in a system call that could simply tell whether the given file is remote or local.
The stat() system call does not report on this info.
# 4  
Old 07-10-2007
Question to Neo

Hi Neo,

How do we know if the disk shown is a local disk or a remote (SAN) disk?

Thanks,

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File transfer from remote to local

Hi, I came across the scenario, that I need to copy files from the remote server to my local. The files in the remote server are created by another job and its keep on generating the files in that remote folder. We can't able to use SCP command and we're using SFTP to connect the server and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janarthan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using expect to remote SSH and write to a local file

Hi Guys, So what I am trying to do is : Host A should do a SSH to Host B to F. Login to the remote host and gather the output of uptime and write to to a file in HostA. So by the end of the script, HostA should contain a file that contains the uptime output of Host B,C,D,E,F. Right now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File listing from remote to local directory

Hello, I have a file at remote server. I have to select only current day's files that are dropped on ftp server. The files do not have date or timestamp on them. so I plan to get the file listing from remote server to the local server. Based on file listing date I can find out when the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to execute a remote file with local command

Hello, I know this is somewhat strange, but please let me know if possible. I want to execute a program file in the remote machine with command on the local machine. Let me make things more clear. Suppose I have a cc on my local system and do not have that on the remote system. I want to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_Raghav
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file size comparision local file and remote file

Hi, I have written a script which would FTP a dump file to the FTP server and log the whole activity into a file. to confirm the success of the file copy i grep for "226 file receive OK" and then send out an email saying success. Now i want to make sure the bytes of the local file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dba.admin2008
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the time difference between a local file and a remote file.

I m stuck with a issue. I need to calculate the time difference between two files.. one on the local machine and one on the remote machine using a script. Can any one suggest the way this can be achevied Thanks, manohar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meetmano143
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File System - Remote or Local??

Is there a way to find if the file systems mounted on a AIX/Linux box is local or remote? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Un1xNewb1e
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find match in two diff file - local srv and remote server

Perl Guru.... I need to compare two diff file (file1.abc will locate in current server and file2.abc will locate in remote server), basically the script will look for match in both file and only will send out email if there is no match and also give me list of unmatch and dups as well. So... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
0 Replies

10. Solaris

[FTP]opying of file from remote to local machine

Hi All, i wannna copy a file from the remote machine to my local machine using FTP protocol. i have made a connection to the remote machine , then i used the "get" cmd to copy the remote file as below :-> ftp> get (remote-file) /home/aruba/opmtools/was50/Was5Install.doc (local-file)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sonbag_pspl
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question