editing /etc/vfstab in single user mode

Operating Systems Solaris editing /etc/vfstab in single user mode
# 1  
Old 06-16-2009
editing /etc/vfstab in single user mode

Hi Experts,

My /etc/vfstab got corrupted and have no bootable CD or system , I can get into the system in maintenance mode however the root file system is in read only mode and i am unable to modify the /etc/vfstab.

Is there any option through which i can modify the /etc/vfstab ?

Thanks
# 2  
Old 06-16-2009
is it x86 or sparc system?
# 3  
Old 06-16-2009
Thanks Duke

Its Sparc , and have no CD or boot server to boot the system
# 4  
Old 06-16-2009
so download a dvd from the sun website... or try to boot in single user mode and do a "fsck" for the root filesystem.
# 5  
Old 06-17-2009
Thanks Duke

I resolve it by remounting the root file system in read write mode with the below command

#mount -o rw,remount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /

and placed the enetry for / file system in /etc/vfstab and i am abale to boot the system in normally
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Single user mode

Dear All I am trying to install my os as : ok>boot cdrom - install but receiving the following : "IDprom checksum error getexecname() failed /sbin/rcS /etc/vfstab cannot create INIT:failed write utmpx enrty INIT:single user mode INIT:execle of /etc/sulogin failed Enter run level" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Single user mode

Hi all I am new on sun OS. I have have little experience on linux. The Story start from this point: I want to put some script on start-up the terminal, but I cant do that. my shell was sh and I tried so much to find way to do that. at last someone said to me change your shell to bash. I ask how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahim_T
4 Replies

3. Solaris

How can i edit /etc/vfstab in single user mode

Hi Experts /etc/vfstab is corrupted as while editing it i forgot to comment some of the line. how can i edit the file in single in user mod? also, i have some problem in CD drive , so i cant boot it from CD and do the changes. i tried mounding the root file system as rw, however no... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode - user accounts passwords

hello ppl, someone must be able to help with this --> I have an old NCR tower 32 with an ADDS terminal running a unix version 020102 (Im not sure if thats correct but its unix for sure). I have no user names and no passwords and need to login to read a tape. Is there any way to do that? I hear... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orestis
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't Editing File in Single mode (using vi)

Dear All, Yesterday I'm change /etc/vfstab file ( disable 1 Device mounting) and now I can't login to multiuser mode just single user mode, and now I want enable again, but I can't using vi editor in single user mode How to edit this file? thereis default can't using vi editor in single mode?... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: heru_90
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

How to diable the single user mode.. what i want is dat my users are unable to boot in single user mode via GRUB.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankit.jss
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

single user mode

Is there another way of switching to single user mode except by typing /usr/sbin/shutdown 0 ??? :rolleyes: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single-user mode

how do you boot into single user mode? RedHat 7.1 Caldera 2.4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro81
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Single user mode

Hi all, Well back at work and back to crashing systems again :-) Does anyone know where I can find some decent information on single user mode? I need to be able to fix a few things. Don't know if it's possible in single user mode but I need to fix the "etc/vfstab" mainly I re-wrote it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: merlin
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

single user mode

Hi all, why "vi" acts differently is single user mode? Does anyone help ? I am using "x" to delete and it keeps messing up. Please help Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guest100
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question