Prepping for the RHEL Sysadmin & Cert'd Eng. exams

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Prepping for the RHEL Sysadmin & Cert'd Eng. exams
# 1  
Old 01-12-2011
Prepping for the RHEL Sysadmin & Cert'd Eng. exams

I have completed training for RH033, RH133, & RH253. How much practical hands-on time (besides just re-doing the labs) will I need to successfully pass the RHCSA/RHCE exam?

Also, is there an alternative for lab time besides week-long lab sessions that Red Hat sells for $300 a pop?

Thanks very much in Advance!

Rob
# 2  
Old 01-12-2011
I think you mean $3000+ a pop.

The best advise I can give you is to take the sequences provided in the training course labs and the examples in Michael Jangs RHCE Study Guide and practice practice practice until you can do them blindly in your sleep and in as little time as possible.
# 3  
Old 01-13-2011
FPMurphy,

Thanks for your Reply. Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I could have been; Red Hat sells "lab time" apart from the training sessions. One week of lab time costs $299.

I've ordered a 2nd RHEL prep book (Michael Jang), and I hope to get CentOS installed on a laptop. I won't have much free time the next few weeks!

Rob
# 4  
Old 01-13-2011
Rather than purchasing Red Hat labtime, I suggest you purchase VMware for your laptop and install install 2 copies of RHEL or Centos on your laptop in an appropriate configuration and take a snapshot of the configuration once it is up and running. Then just use the snapshot to restore the configuration to default whenever needed.
# 5  
Old 01-13-2011
Alternately, Virtual Box is free and works very well for your goals. I second the idea of getting CentOS though.
# 6  
Old 01-13-2011
Code:
I suggest you purchase VMware for your laptop [...]

Or use VirtualBox... it's free.

If you are only going to use VMs for a few days I think it's not worth it paying for a VMware license.
# 7  
Old 01-13-2011
VMware Server is free as well ...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nofiles & nproc change on RHEL not taking effect

I am installing a statistical applicaton and for its web components it is a listed requirement that I have soft limits of files (20480) and no of processes (soft t o 10240). I am on RHEL 6.1. As root I made the following changes in /etc/security/limits.conf * soft nproc 10240 * hard nproc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL 6 plain telnet & ftp servers

I am being pushed from AIX onto RHEL 6 and after our first 'chuck it on' install, I have a problem. Where is the old (okay insecure) telnet & ftp server? I know that they are probably regarded as archaic now, but the source servers do not have the SSH tools, so I've got to somehow transfer the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

cannot ssh (use NFS) on RHEL box, but can mount external & ssh out of RHEL box

Ok, Im trying to get NFS working on my RHEL 5 box, apparently i can use the box as a client, but not as a server. If it helps i cant ssh into the box (server), but as a client ssh works fine. Ive configured server: /etc/hosts.allow: all : all all :all@all setup my /etc/exports file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drs.grid
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

what can i benefit as mechatronics eng.

hello , first i need to know what is a shell and what is a script ,and how can i benefit from shell and script programing as an mechatronics engineer? Thank you for ur time (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abu_malek
1 Replies

5. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

virtualization in RHEL 5.3 & Centos 5.3

Hi I would like to know how to do virtualization in Rhel 5.3 and Cent os 5.3, As i am new this Virtualization need guidence how to install and configure guest os in Rhel and Cent Os can some one guide me step by step Regards Solaris8in (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Installing Updates on RHEL 3 & 4

Is there another way to install updates on RHEL besides using the up2date utility? I have some systems that are not accessible to the internet. So, when I look for the updates that are supposed to be for my system, i dont even know where to go to download them? it just keeps bringing me to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question