How to capture status code and echo a message

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to capture status code and echo a message
# 1  
Old 04-30-2008

Im trying to execute application and its return code is below

IF Status code=o
echo "........"

else Staus Code =-2 DJRE

then echo "......"

Can any one help me how to handle the status code and echo some message.
# 2  
Old 04-30-2008

I guess you call your function like this:

result=`Your_function`

# From your question it is a character 'o', if so then use the below condition
if [ "$result" = "o" ]
Just in case you meant the number 0 (zero) then use the below condition
if [ $result -eq 0 ]
then
echo "....."
else
echo "....."
fi

BTW, can you tell me how to post a new question in this forum. I appear too dumb as I spent already 15 mins finding the place for submitting questions.
# 3  
Old 04-30-2008
Nanu_Manju: when you enter a forum, like Shell Programming and Scripting - The UNIX Forums, there's a "New Thread" button above the list of "Threads in Forum", and one below the list too.
# 4  
Old 04-30-2008
Thanks Lankar

Thanks, I hate when I appear dumb. You have a good day
# 5  
Old 04-30-2008
To Skip File does not exist line using grep

ls -lrt *20080430 | grep -v | wc -l

ls: 0653-341 The file *20080430 does not exist.

We need to skip File does not exist like like total using grep command

can any one help how to acheive this
# 6  
Old 04-30-2008
The output will be zero lines if there are no files, so wouldn't it suffice just to discard the error message?

Code:
ls -lrt *20080430 2>/dev/null | wc -l

PS. Please start a new thread for a new question.
# 7  
Old 04-30-2008
HI,

Returncode = `cd $Path;ls -lrt *$fdate 2>/dev/null | wc -l`
if [ "$Returncode" = 0 ]
then
echo '.......'
else

cd $Path;ls -lrt *$fdate 2>/dev/null

but it showing the error Returncode not found
help me please
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Sqlplus - Capture the sql statement about to run and execution status

Greetings Experts, I am on AIX using ksh. Created a unix script which generates the CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW ... and GRANT .. statements, which are placed in a single .txt file. Now I need to execute the contents in the file (there are around 300 view creation and grant statements) in Oracle and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a string in all files and echo a message

Hi. I m trying to figure out how to do this. I have a directory full of files (100 files) and I want to be able to search for a string called "end" at the end of the files (last line or last 5 lines) and echo each file to say "incomplete" if not found. This is what I have so far. ---... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasonhawaii
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to retry FTP commands if unsuccessful and capture the failure status code.

I am using the below code to ftp file onto another server FTP_LOG_FILE=${CURR_PRG_NAME}- ${FTP_FILE}-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.log ftp -ivn ${FTP_HOST} ${FTP_PORT} << ENDFTP >> ${EDI_LOG_DIR}/${FTP_LOG_FILE} 2>&1 user ${FTP_USER} ${FTP_PSWD} lcd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
2 Replies

4. Solaris

zpool status -v erros message

# zpool status -v pool: pool1 state: ONLINE status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected. action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the entire pool from backup. see:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo message when file is empty.

If a file is empty then it must print the message "no data found" eg: if then echo "no data found" your help is really appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Capture system call error message.

Hi, I googled a bit, but could not find the answer to my problem. But I am sure it is a common issue. I have this code: #!/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; sub remsh_test() { my $host = $_; printf "\n----\n\n"; printf "remsh to $host with system call\n"; my $result = system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I capture multiple lines of the status output of a command?

I need to know what the upload speed of an Internet connection. I thought the easiest way to do this would be to transfer a file via FTP to my server using the command: sh-3.2$ ftp -u ftp://username:password@computerdomain/directory/ file_to_be_uploaded Note: My environment allows me to issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzz1528
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture actual error message when a command fails to execute

I want to capture actual error message in case the commands I use in my shell script fails. For eg: ls -l abc.txt 2>>errorlog.txt In this case I understand the error message is written to the errorlog.txt and I assume its bacause the return code from the command ls -l abc might return 2 if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Status to echo'd line after process completes

Hello All, I'm very new to scripting and I'm writing a very simple script to restart a couple processes because I'm getting to lazy to cd between directories. This is pretty much my first script and I just want to add a little cosmetics to it. Here's what I have: #!/bin/ksh echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Setan
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sh Prgram to capture Log message.

Hi All, I have a log file which consists of log messages as follows -> GLOBALCALLID_CLUSTERID_B NEXT * , O(") CHARACTER JOINONBEHALFOF NEXT * , O(") CHARACTER Record 1: Rejected - Error on table IFA_MMV_CDR, column CDRRECORDTYPE.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question