which process writes to file

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers which process writes to file
# 1  
Old 06-25-2008
which process writes to file

Some process rewrites a file ( i'm hacked Smilie Can I somehow monitor which process does that?
# 2  
Old 06-25-2008
man lsof

Hi,
Am not sure if the unix version has "lsof" command,but if you have then I guess i should be quite easier

Code:
man lsof

Thanks
Nagarajan G
# 3  
Old 07-12-2008
Audit does the trick I need. Used it on freebsd 6x

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring processes in parallel and process log file after process exits

I am writing a script to kick off a process to gather logs on multiple nodes in parallel using "&". These processes create individual log files. Which I would like to filter and convert in CSV format after they are complete. I am facing following issues: 1. Monitor all Processes parallelly.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies

2. Solaris

OpenBSM not catching all file writes

I have a custom auditing class configured for these events but it doesn't seem to be catching it when I do a "echo hey > test.txt" Any ideas on why that is? ---------- Post updated at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:47 PM ---------- Scratch this topic, it looks like it's because... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file a background program writes to

Hi! #!/usr/bin/env bash rm tmpcomm nc -v -u -l 444 | hexdump -b > tmpcomm while : do read l1 < tmpcomm read l2 < tmpcomm read l3 < tmpcomm read l4 < tmpcomm # do something doneI start netcat in the background and listen for an incoming conncetion. All incoming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: torax123
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

linux sqlplus select results writes into file twice

Hello, This is my first post and its because I could not find solution for myself I decided to ask help here. What I want to do; I want to get some data from a table 1 on server 1 and insert those datas into a table 2 on server 2. ( lets say schema names are server1 and server 2 also ).... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: azuahaha
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Script that writes max lines of a file - Any ideas how to fix?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmiller99
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

identify the unix process performing high disk i/o reads and writes

Guys, Is there any UNIX command that captures the 'Unix process which is performing high disk I/O reads and writes'. can you help me in this? -Swamy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does sync(2) block writes until completed?

Gentle readers, I am trying to observe system behavior on our RHEL 5.2 machines. I notice that, it appears to me, based on random iterations of dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/tmp/bigfile bs=1024 count=20000 ...that if the pdflush is flushing buffers at the time of my write, my write will take... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschwage
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: FH and multiple writes

I found this logging subroutine on the net that I want to use but despite trying many things, I cannot figure out how to get the date in front of the logged text. Ideally what I'm looking for is a line that looks something like this: Wed Aug 20 18:17:29 PDT 2008 - my logging info here. my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctaylor
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script that reads/writes based upon contents of a file

Hi everyone, Ive got a quick question about the feasibility and any suggestions for a shell script. I can use sh or ksh, doesnt matter. Basically, Ive got an output file from a db2 command that looks like so: SCHEMA NAME CARD LEAF ELEAF LVLS ISIZE NDEL KEYS F4 F5 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question