Why Bash is not working in HP-UX ?

Operating Systems HP-UX Why Bash is not working in HP-UX ?
# 1  
Old 07-29-2010
Error Why Bash is not working in HP-UX ?

Why Bash is not working in HP-UX ?
What is similiar exe which is in HP_UX as Bash?
# 2  
Old 07-29-2010
I don't know anything about HP-UX, but is bash installed ?
# 3  
Old 07-29-2010
Check whether bash is installed
Code:
which bash

Alternative shells
Code:
/usr/bin/sh
/usr/bin/csh
/usr/bin/ksh

# 4  
Old 07-29-2010
i checked which bash ...
it is giving no bash ..< directories>

How to setup .profile file ?
i got login credential for one of new development box (HP-UX)
And ctrl+c is not working to cut the program which is wrongly executed ...
i think .profile has to set properly for all the common operation...
# 5  
Old 07-29-2010
Bash is not installed on HP-UX by default. Also bash is not officially supported, you will not get help from HP Support if problems with it arise. f you do install bash, make absolutely sure that you do not change the default shell for root. The root shell must be /sbin/sh. If it is anything else you could make your system unbootable.

If you really want to go ahead and install bash, you can find a binary here: Porting And Archive Centre For HP-UX
# 6  
Old 07-29-2010
What version of HP-UX do you have?
No version of HP-UX comes with "bash". Depending on your version there are ways to get the source and compile it.
In every release since HP-UX 11.00 /sbin/sh hs been the Posix Shell (not the Bourne Shell). See "man sh" for the list of standard shells.
# 7  
Old 08-05-2010
Version is HP-UX B.11.11 .

---------- Post updated at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:51 PM ----------

Or if u have .profile or .cshrc / .exrc / .login / .profile setup files to work as linux . i.e up/down arrows , delete, home, end , pageUp,pageDown , move of history (commands) ......... Need to make setup to work like Linux.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Best way to get a bash script working in C

Ahoy friends. Currently i got a bash script running to manage my minecraft servers. All of them are stored in /home/minecraft_servers directory. Using my script im able to start a server (e.g. ./minecraft start ftb_continuum) because server name and server name are the same.(e.g.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Knogle
2 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Bash - command substution not working

For some reason I cannot use command substitution in my bash shell in Fedora. The following commands give me the following outputs-: $ $(( $(w| wc -l) - 2 )) Command not found. $ `ls` Command not found. $ $("date") Command not found. $ $(ls) Command not found. $... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with grep and Bash

Hi, I am currently working on a Bash shell script that - Downloads a webpage, in this case youtube.com - Extracts Number of views, Extracts Title of video, Extracts User who made it, and lastly Duration. Then I have to Out put this into columns. To me this sounds like crazyness. I'm very new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Njzangel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not working in a bash script

Hi friends, I have two files - input and commands I want to read the input and replace a value in it with the contents in commands. My script is like this. Instead of printing the value in the commands file, it is simply printing $cmd in the output file. Any pointers are highly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash join script not working

So i'm currently working on a project where I'm attempting to display information of users from the /etc/passwd file and also another information file holding addition information about users. Problem is I've been trying to join the two files together and have all of the information about each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nostyx
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working with bash and date

Hello all, I'm trying to substract 1 minute from the current date and take the hour and minute (for filename purpose). 1) If I want hour an minute from current time I can use: timetmp=$(date +"%H:%M") 2) To substract 1 minute from current time I can use: timetmp=$(date --date "$dte -1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple BASH script not working?

So I need a script that does the following: If a certain user is logged in Run `command` Else Echo “incorrect user” This is my first stab...which doesn't work: #!/bin/bash X="user=`ls -l /dev/console | cut -d " " -f 4`" Y="foobar" echo $X echo $Y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

if loop not working in BASH shell

i have this code for a simple if loop: #!/bin/bash array="1 2 3 4 5" array2="5 6 7 8 9" if } -gt ${array} ]; then echo "${array2} is greater than ${array}!!" fi the error is ./script8: line 9: [: too many arguments ./script8: line 9: [: too many arguments ./script8: line 9: [:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
10 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 8 installed but bash is not working

Hi All, I've installed Solaris 8 and notice that bash is not working. I know we have other Sol8 boxes and bash is working on these boxes. I believe Solaris 8 includes bash in full distribution, so does this mean the files on the CD are corrupted? Sol8 was burned on the CD1 and 2 so this is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/bin/bash has stopped working

Hi I'm writing a script and I've put #!/bin/bash as the first line so that I can just type my scripts name 'whodate' at PS1 instead of ./whodate. This has suddenly stopped working for me. It used to be the case that I could start a script with #!/bin/bash and it would work, but for this script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question