system command

Top Forums Programming system command
# 1  
Old 10-06-2006
system command

Hi
In my code am openeing a mozilla in Solaris with some url using sytem(url)
this is working fine for most of the urls but for url of type-
www.abc.com?action=p&a=23

it is passing only www.abc.com?action=p to the browser & thus the url is not opening properly.
Why is system command truncating the addr on '&'. is there any alternative. exec also doesnt work

Thanks
# 2  
Old 10-06-2006
Why not use exec along with the information given in this page - http://www.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

Thats what we do.
# 3  
Old 10-06-2006
as in exec(mozilla -remote "openurl(http://www.mozilla.org)" ) ????
# 4  
Old 10-06-2006
Yes something like that. But not exactly that. You need to look in the man pages to see the exec family of calls. Pick the one that suits you.
# 5  
Old 10-09-2006
openurl is a standard function or some user function?
I am using w3tool which is configured to open mozilla. the command tht am currntly using is system("w3tool -oa url");
as i said b4 this is opening all urls except of types "action=abc&22"
# 6  
Old 10-09-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimishm
openurl is a standard function or some user function?
openurl is known to mozilla. It is one of the command line parameters that mozilla accepts.
# 7  
Old 10-09-2006
Hi,

U can use sysem like below to url www.abc.com?action=p&a=23

system("mozilla www.abc.com?action=p\&a=23");

The & has special meaning i.e, run the process in back ground, So u have to use \ to treat it as & only.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with system command

Hi, I have a file 'acct_07756734.dat' and need to do some grep operation from a script grep 'usage' acct_07756734.dat|wc -l 8 I need to do the same operation in aperl script,its is like system(grep 'usage' acct_07756734.dat|wc -l); in this case I wont be getting the value '8',instead success... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

System Command dies even when command gets executed successfully

Hi I have created a perl script & running it using Linux machine. I want my script to die when system command is unsuccessful but script is dying even when system command gets executed successfully. :wall: I am using the command below :- system($cmd) || die "FAILED $!"; print "Hello"; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priyanka Gupta
2 Replies

3. Programming

Question about system command in C

The man system says During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. What does this mean? And if i am making a function that does what system does how do i write this signal stuff? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
19 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System command

Hello All, I am trying to run this system command from batch file..... my @filename = ( 'cleartool', 'find', '. -type', 'f', '-ver','lbtype_sub(baseline name)', '-print' ); system(@filename); But while executing the batch it is throwing this error: cleartool: Error: Pathname not found:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
1 Replies

5. AIX

printing system with the command lp -d

Hello.. Plz, Any one can help me ? when I execute a printing system with the command lp -d<name of printer>, no result with all printers. I have verified the three processes : qdaemon, lpd, writesrv (No problem). thank's (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: okbainf
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

system command within awk

I was trying commands within awk. i got stuck here. i take 2 files. cat input first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth ninht tenthcat add *************** Nirbhay ***************i run the command awk '{ if ( NR == 5 ) { print system("cat add") "\n" $0 } else {... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nirbhay
4 Replies

7. Programming

system() command

hello everybody! i write this following command: system ("time (md5sum ./a.out)>log 2>&1"); as a part of a c program. but it printf the following error: sh: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")") can anybody tell me why? thanx in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help w/PERL system command

Hi, I'm wanting to run an nslookup, dig or whatever to check for the existence of a printer. The PERL script will display the results on the screen, but I can't figure out how to capture the result & test the value. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!! Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lorik
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - system command

Can this be done without using te system command? I have a directory with a large number of files in it, but I am interested in only the 8 most recent. The directory looks like -rw-rw-rw- 1 adsm adsm 13412 Sep 22 08:31 events_dump_09222005.csv.gz -rw-rw-rw- 1 adsm adsm ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
5 Replies

10. Programming

using system cp command in C program

Hi i used the following code to copy a directory from a source location to dest. argv contains the source loc i/p by the user. strcpy(source,argv); strcpy(dest,"/home/MainServer/Job_dir/"); system("cp -r $source $dest"); it complies properly but during execution of the program it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question