how to find whats filling up Root Directory

Operating Systems AIX how to find whats filling up Root Directory
# 1  
Old 06-04-2009
Error how to find whats filling up Root Directory

Hi guys

I am running AIX 5.3 and a newbie to it.

And I am getting reports telling me that the Root Directory is reaching almost max capacity, can someone give m some advice to find out what files are causing it to grow? , or how I can identify the growing files?

Thanks
# 2  
Old 06-04-2009
you can use du command to find out the disk usage

say

du -sk * | sort -nr | head
# 3  
Old 06-04-2009
Thank you I shall try that now Smilie
# 4  
Old 06-04-2009
that's one thing only. you may use the find command with -size to find files of more than 100MB (or whatever your wish) and see if there are big files lying around
# 5  
Old 06-04-2009
you may use this...

Code:

find [SEARCH_PATH] -type f -size +[MEG_BYTES]000000c

Smilie
# 6  
Old 06-04-2009
I use this to find my big file bud do not use it in / as it will find all the big files on a system.

This version will only give you name and size and sort it by the bigest at the top.

#!/bin/ksh
ls -asR |sort -nr |nawk '/total / {size=($2*1024) /1024000;print ""; printf "Total %6.3fMB ",size;print ""; exit}; {size=($1*1024)/1024000;printf "%4.3fmg %s",size,$2;print ""}' |pg
# 7  
Old 06-08-2009
You can also use #ls -lrt |tail to find the latest file newly generated/growing and take necessary action.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find directory listing from root to all files in tree format with details of perm/own/grp?

Hi, My apologies if my query is already available on this forum but I am new and could not find. I need a script to list all directories/sub directories and files with permissions/groups/owners. The script would run from home directory and should capture every directory. How do I do this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8709711
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Cannot tell what is filling up root (/) partition on Sol10

I can see that my root partition is down to single-digit GB free out of 134GB root partition on a larger server with many SAN, NFS, LOFS mounts etc mounted at the root (/) partition. How can I specifically tell which directories is causing the most utilization in my root (/) partition? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Root partition filling up

I have a T1000 Sparc server that has a relatively small root partition which is 24Gb and a larger partition dedicated to /export/home that is approximately 100 Gb. We have a lot of data going to /var/audit and to /var/core/corefiles. Is there any non-destructive way to redirect files from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root filesystem filling up!

Hi all. New to the forum and new to Unix admin... / filesystem filled up and I can't find where the large files are. Any help will be apppreciated: # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8063580 7941745 41200 100% / /proc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a path within unix root directory

I need to know whether nyfile/mypath exists on the file system in the root directory. How to do this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong with this find statement ?

cmd="find /a/technologies -name '*.jar' | grep \"Tuning/specificloader/lib\"" echo $cmd for index in `$cmd` do SL_JARS="${SL_JARS}:${index}" done gives error ==> find: paths must precede expression Usage: find but for index in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crackthehit007
2 Replies

7. Linux

Whats for: /etc/locks directory?

Hi there! Can someone please tell me what is for the directory /etc/locks and provide me with an example. I certainly don't understand it very well. Any help will be much appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

whats command for search including sub directory ?

What is the command for search the program name from the entire directory (all directories in the unix box, means including sub directories...) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
2 Replies

9. AIX

Help Using Grep command to Find the string in the files in the root directory

I want to serch for a string in all the files in the root directory. i want the search to be limited to only the files in the directory i.e the search to be done only in the files not in the sub directory. the approaches tried are 1)grep "pattern string" this command was serching the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbu_Angeline
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find all the log files under the root directory -- Need Info

Hi I need to find all the log files under the root directory and delete them if necessary, if any one has a sample script who can share with me. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question