Check for open application

Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Check for open application
# 1  
Old 11-20-2008
Question Check for open application

Hi there,

Is there any command to check if a particular application is open on a mac?

thanks

Smilie
# 2  
Old 11-22-2008
# 3  
Old 12-09-2008
isnt lsof only for open files (list open files)?
I would do ps auxwww OR
ps auxwww |grep -i applicationname
you can also try top which shows the top processes (press q to exit top)
These shold all be run in the terminal
# 4  
Old 12-10-2008
also, command + tab will let you scroll through open apps.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

open application with spaces in name [bash][OSX]

Hi guys, I'm new here and new to shell scripting so don't be hard on me I'm trying to create a bash script to restart a process by name in Mac OSX. I have no problem killing the application, the problem comes when launching it again. I managed to store the path in a variable lets say ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonathanwiesel
8 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to check remote server port listening from application.

Hi, I have an application running on HP-UX, from this application I need to findout if the port number. lets say 7890,7891, 7892 are listening on the remote server running on HP-UX. Is there any way of doing it using "system()" function or any other? I noticed that nmap, netcat are not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if an application has been installed on a unix/linux box?

hi, guys, now I face a problem. I have developed an application, and when it starts, it shall check if an application has been installed on the running linux/unix. If result is positive, i do something with the application command. just as an example: I want to check if sshd has been... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk1418
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file is being accessed by any application

Hello, is there maybe a way to check if a specific file is being accessed at the moment? Example: You will start copying a 10 GB file from A to B, how could I code it so my script actually knows when file B is finished copying? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TehOne
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Check if an application is accessible when trying to use http://localhost in Unix

Hm am the perfect newbie:o I handle an application on a production servers having a SunOS 5.8 and iplanet webserver instance. Users trying to access it on https are getting "Cannot find the server". I checked with the n/w and secuirty and they said traffic is allowed to the server. Everything... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimmyJ
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open file with correct application

Can someone please help me with my bourne shell script. I am a struggling newbie. I need create a script that will read an argument from a command line, access a config file with application file types, and open the file with the correct application. The file needs to be able to handle file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3dtiger
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

How can I check what port addresses used the application

Hello Mentors! I am a new here in the furom, i hope somebody can understand my problem. Basically we have an application here called unigraphics and being installed per station and the setup is look like this. 1. installed unigraphics UGNX3 version on every station 2. some are installed in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which application has a TCP socket open

If I do a netstat -a I can see all the sockets currently open, is there a way that I can tell which application is holding open these sockets ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphyboy
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question