UNIX error log

Special Forums Cybersecurity UNIX error log
# 1  
Old 05-30-2003
Question UNIX error log

A system administration utility has recently been installed at the SCO Openserver (UNIX) servers of our bank. While
receiving the error log files of this utility, we have noted the following warning messages:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comSmiliefficeSmilieffice" />

· Alert: /etc: File Control Database inconsistency. The File Control Database may be compromised. Run Integrity
(ADM).

· Alert: Authentication database path /etc/shadow may be compromised - run integrity (ADM).

It may be noted that one of the functions performed by this utility is to copy etc/shadow to another directory for data
back-up purposes. We have objected to this practice.

I will appreciate if someone can guide me about the significance of the above errors.
# 2  
Old 05-30-2003
What's the version of your o.s. (run uname -a) and what's the name of your system administration utility?

Maybe it's b/c the program is messing with certain files while not being root..? I found a link on dbforums that talks about a command called asroot. This may be completely off, but if you created the utility, maybe it's running some commands that need to be run as root? Just throwing out ideas here...
# 3  
Old 05-31-2003
The version is 5.0.6. The utility has been developed inhouse by our techies to restrict usage of root by system
adminsitrators. They have failed in this objective as new doors have been opened for accessing root account. The user ID
for running the utility also has root powers. More worryingly, certain shells of the utility are messing with the following:

1. File permissions of all server files.
2. Certn shells of teh utility are being excecuted daily at system startup which should have been done only at installation of
teh utility.

So the fact that the utility is a disaster is known to us. My question, is the extent of damage it is causing the system. Please share your thoughts Smilie
# 4  
Old 05-31-2003
Thoughts:

You have an inhouse developed utility.

Folks on this forum have no knowledge of that inhouse utiliity.

You should go to the developers of your custom utility and get their help.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies

2. Web Development

How to log http 404 error to a separate log file?

Apache Web Server: how to log http 404 error to a separate log file and i do not want to log in access.log please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error UNIX: UNIX SCO release 5.05 system does not boot

UNIX sco release 5.05 system does not boot:cannot open device hd(40)/boot stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd(40)/bootWhat to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joaoalpande
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Log error from cron job into log file

Hi Please would it be right to log the errors from a script running in cron in the following manner: /datax/vendor/dump.sh > /datax/vendor/err.log 2>&1 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is this error log = hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 and how to solve?

what is this error log = hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 and how to solve? every day upon checking the logs i see this error. hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hda: irq timeout: error=0x00 hw_client: segfault at 0000000000000046 rip... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending error messages from log file next to the corresponding error record

Hi Everyone, I have an issue and trying to get a solution but was not succesful yet. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am using ksh to inoke sql loader to load data from txt file into two oracle tables based on the condition written in the control file. If an error occurs while loading into... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sqlplus error output to different error log file

HELLO, I am using such a command to write oracle sqlplus query result to text file: sqlplus -S xxx/xxx@xxxxxxx @\tmp\2.sql>\tmp\123.txt Is it possible to script that: If command succesfull write in \tmp\log.txt: timestamp and "succeded" and create 123.txt with results else If error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomasba
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to route error to log file in unix

Hey Every one I have a find statement which find the files and deletes them find /web/local/orderlink/batchmanaged01/scripts/SMOappLogs/log -name 'orderlink.log.*' -type f -mtime +$10-exec rm -f {} \; This statement if finds a file at the given location it will delete the files but if it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinky
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

alert_oss.log oracle log file in hp-unix

Hi I have go this alert_oss.log that is basically capturing all the oracle errorlogs.Now the problem is that it is one huge file and to see log of some particular date i tried cat alert_oss.log | grep 'Mar 25 10:44:45 2007' > alert_25.txt is not giving me the required output. pls suggest ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Assassin
3 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

UNIX error log

system administration utility has recently been installed at the SCO Openserver (UNIX) servers of our bank. While receiving the error log files of this utility, we have noted the following warning messages: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> · ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eysheikah
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question