Add User Problem

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Add User Problem
# 1  
Old 08-14-2008
[solved] Add User Problem

Hi all,

I got a preconfigured Debian 4 (etch) box. When I add a user, it tells me it added and I can "su" as a new user but I can't login with it through SSH, SFTP, etc.

Why?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by mjdousti; 09-02-2008 at 01:51 PM..
# 2  
Old 08-14-2008
What error do you get? You should set the password for your new user before you try to connect via ssh etc.
# 3  
Old 08-14-2008
Creating user:
Code:
root@somewhere:~# adduser tt --no-create-home
Adding user `tt' ...
Adding new group `tt' (1011) ...
Adding new user `tt' (1000) with group `tt' ...
Not creating home directory `/home/tt'.
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Changing the user information for tt
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
        Full Name []:
        Room Number []:
        Work Phone []:
        Home Phone []:
        Other []:
Is the information correct? [y/N] y
root@somewhere:~# su tt
tt@somewhere:/root$

But when I use putty to login via SSH, after entering the password, suddenly:
# 4  
Old 08-14-2008
The lack of a home directory would seem like a plausible explanation.
# 5  
Old 08-14-2008
No, the system has some users without home directory and I can login with them without any problem.

I think some where must be a configuration to allow/disallow users to login but I don't know "where".
# 6  
Old 08-14-2008
Try it with "useradd" instead of adduser, just to see if there is a difference.

Code:
userdel tt
mkdir -p /home/tt
useradd -d /home/tt tt
passwd tt

If this still does not work, check if some more info is in you /var/log/messages. Or try if you can get in via another service like ftp to see if it is a ssh problem or not.
# 7  
Old 08-14-2008
Didn't work and there was no info in /var/log/messages. I tried the SFTP and it also said:

"Server unexpectedly closed network connection."
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

User add problem

I could not create the user name with the number infront of... useradd 8siva useradd: Invalid account name `8siva' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

adding new user problem?

I wan to add a new user. I have executed the following command. The user home directory is created. but password creation shows error. Note: I'm using LDAP Server for user authentication. adduser xxx Adding user `xxx' ... Adding new group `xxx' (1003) ... Adding new user `xxx' (1003) with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
2 Replies

3. AIX

User creation problem

Hi, I am getting tired in creating several users in a day. Can anyone have a script to create several users in the same server, as well as, to create one user in several servers. where i have to put script and how to run the script. Waiting for your reply. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User login problem

Dear All, Plz help in unixware 7x only root user login & other user not login . message giving permission denied (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir69
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

sendmail user accounts problem

first of all I am Newbie to linux I confidured my sendmail -8.13 on RHEL5, but i have a problem regarding user accounts. How can I user access his account on remotely while all users exit on servers ? should i need to configure extra server to enable this .... And what is LDAP and can this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy6573
1 Replies

6. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

7. Linux

USER login problem

Hi All I am facing a login issue actually on my local machine users are not suppose to login with there respective prompt on the machine. Access deneid login as: daya Sent username "daya" daya@10.10.0.3's password: Access denied daya@192.168.0.83's password: and even i am not suppose... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daya.pandit
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

create user problem

hello: before I am add user in Linux with " adduser" command . for example system(adduser zzf -p hello); and this command "-p" option is used to create "login password". now i do not find the "-p" option in " adduser " in hp unix os. and i should how to do ??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoenix_fei
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user creation problem

hello, Actually I want to create a user for our brower based custom application for the mail access from our mailserver(linux). I create user dummy and I granted all the privileages to dummy user and made dummy equivelent to root and if I tried to create a another user logging as dummy ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jarkvarma
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

User Problem

On my small network some of my users are having trouble logging in. What's something that I can do to find out what's wrong? Are there any commands that I can run or files I can check? ,AP (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthony
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question