USB Flash Drives

Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory USB Flash Drives
# 1  
Old 05-21-2008
Question USB Flash Drives

Can Solaris/any GNU/Linux distros/ any flavor of FreeBSD be booted, right from aUSB flash drive?

Mine's the one pictured here.

SanDisk | Products | USB Flash Drives | SanDisk CruzerŽ Titanium Plus USB Flash Drive

Also, on a completely unrelated note (just so I don't have to fill up forum space), how do I know what architecture I am on? (note: I'm currently on Windows XP)

I've gone to Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System information,but the only (relevant) info it gives is that my processor is an x86 (I want to find out which x86 it is, i.e. i386) Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel [sic] ~2999Mhz.

In short, which *UNIX distros will I be able to boot/install from a USB Flash Drive, and which will run on my computer (and what is it).

Thanks in advance!
# 2  
Old 05-22-2008
For your first question, the answer is yes, take a look here.
For the second question, here's what I found in Google : SIW and hwinfo.
# 3  
Old 05-22-2008
Bug Thanks

Thanks dude.

I found that my architecture's x86, so I'm guessing that it'll run all the *nixes that say they run on x86.

Are there anymore *nixes availible on USB flash drives?

Also, if FreeBSD can run from a flash drive, what about PC-BSD?

Thanks again.
# 4  
Old 05-27-2008
I didn't find statement that PCBSD can do that, at least it's not written in their docs. Personally I have had bitter experience with PCBSD, so I put this distro behind, but it may fit your config - I had issues with particular hardware chipset, which I had no chance to replace. Anyway, take a closer look at their site, you may find the answer.
# 5  
Old 05-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysgate
I didn't find statement that PCBSD can do that, at least it's not written in their docs. Personally I have had bitter experience with PCBSD, so I put this distro behind, but it may fit your config - I had issues with particular hardware chipset, which I had no chance to replace. Anyway, take a closer look at their site, you may find the answer.
Okay then.

Also, does anyone have any experience with the LiveUSB for Fedora 9? I'm thinking about getting it.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Anyway to do ufsdump os backup to usb drives

hi folks happy new year to all, I haven't been coming round for a long time. I've been googling about this can't seem to find any good examples, I need to know if it's possible to do a ufsdump os backup into a usb flash drive. Then what about in event of os recovery when we boot to single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Idea: selling Puppy Linux flash drives

What do you think of the idea of selling flash drives already prepared to boot Puppy Linux on PCs? (I still need to see if I can boot on Macs using online instructions I've found.) I know it's not too hard to prep your own flash drive, even if you have to buy one first, but just think about why... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrMormon
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Multiple Backups to USB 1TB Drives using dd

First of all, great web site! I have been using it for a while but just registered today. It's been a great resource for me. Now, on to my issue.;) I'm geographically separated from six (Sun v245s) development servers that I have been asked to backup and restore as development is done and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShawnD41
11 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris ethernet card and mounting usb drives

I had installed soalris 10 on my dell vostro 1400.It had installed succefully. If i type ifconfig -a it is showing only my loop back adpater. So how to tell me how to mount my usb drive and how to configure my lan ethernet card,My lan ethernet card is Broadcom. Tell me step... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testerindia25
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script to Detect and List USB Flash Drives

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I've read many of the posts over the last two or three years and I've learned a lot. I'm creating a live Linux distribution using the Linux Live Scripts -- just as a hobby project -- and I'm wanting to create an automated way for a user to copy the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzillarama
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Does Solaris Volume Manager support USB flash drives?

I would like to mirror or stripe across multiple USB flash drives on a Sun Blade 100 workstation running Solaris 10. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoda9999
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

USB Thumb Drives

I'm hunting around for thumb drives that aren't working. Something you may have kicking around in a drawer that you don't need any more. One you've upgraded and just don't need. I'm willing to pay a couple bucks for you to drop it into an envelope with a few stamps and send it along. I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
0 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting USB Drives in Solaris 9 x86

I'm trying to moun my external USB Mass Storage Drive (80GB) in my Solaris 9 box, I am new to Solaris, and kind of new to linux / unix variants. The external HD contains windows files, but I will be using it as a central storage area for my windows/ linux clients. Thanks -- N:confused:C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: N0C717
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question