Monitor file changed / created events on big FS

Operating Systems HP-UX Monitor file changed / created events on big FS
# 1  
Old 05-26-2009
Monitor file changed / created events on big FS

Hi all,

The configuration:

We are useing a HP-UX Server with vxfs File System. The files on this server have normally a umask of 022 (owned by a administrative account) users who have write access to certain files get custom ACL entries that add these rights for the specific user.

Now a Samba server is running to make the files accessible from within Windows Clients.

The problem:

It seams that when a user saves a file from the Windows Client through Samba the file looses the special ACL rights (maybee it's recreated) so that the user can not save again (File is owned by an other user)

Second problem is that a new file has to get the correct ACL's. For now we have a cron job that does ACL fixing every 2 hours for that.

The question:

Is it somehoe possible to monitor the file system for new files / changed files so that everytime a file is changed / created the ACL's can directly be fixed?

Unfortunately we have >1 TB of data in millions of files in thousands of directories so that a find or simillar would consume lots of resources and need multiple minutes per run.

An other idea would be to create a file system overlay that would be mounted over the real fs and triggers the events. Does anybody has an example for something like this on HP-UX or any other idea on how to do this? I know that on Linux and also Windows theer are API methods available for these tasks, so it should be on HP-UX too i hope.

Thanks for any sugestions!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to echo "File permissions or ownership changed from required " when accidentally changed.

Hi All, I have to work in the late nights some times for server maintenance and in a hurry to complete I am accidentally changing ownership or permission of directories :( which have similar names ( /var in root and var of some other directory ).:confused: Can some one suggest me with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shiek.kaleem
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File size changed

Hi I have many file initial size zero(empty) after some munipulation , one or more file will be greater than zero. I need to send those file names if they return to zero again. Ex. Initially the files are zero size Size filename 0 AAA 0 BBB 0 CCC 0 DDD... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bluetoot
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

4. AIX

monitor directory events

I'm am looking for a cheap way to trigger a script when a new file is written in a specific directory. AIX 5.3. It is a production system, so no kernel patching (i.e. inotify). Filemon and audtiing are too expensive. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbillast
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who changed a file?

How can I tell what user last updated a file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kirkm76
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
PAM_UMASK(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_UMASK(8)

NAME
pam_umask - PAM module to set the file mode creation mask SYNOPSIS
pam_umask.so [debug] [silent] [usergroups] [umask=mask] DESCRIPTION
pam_umask is a PAM module to set the file mode creation mask of the current environment. The umask affects the default permissions assigned to newly created files. The PAM module tries to get the umask value from the following places in the following order: o umask= argument o umask= entry of the users GECOS field o pri= entry of the users GECOS field o ulimit= entry of the users GECOS field o UMASK= entry from /etc/default/login o UMASK entry from /etc/login.defs OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. silent Don't print informative messages. usergroups If the user is not root and the username is the same as primary group name, the umask group bits are set to be the same as owner bits (examples: 022 -> 002, 077 -> 007). umask=mask Sets the calling process's file mode creation mask (umask) to mask & 0777. The value is interpreted as Octal. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The new umask was set successfully. PAM_SERVICE_ERR No username was given. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/login to set the user specific umask at login: session optional pam_umask.so umask=0022 SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_umask was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_UMASK(8)