Interpretation of the uptime command

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Interpretation of the uptime command
# 1  
Old 03-03-2004
Question Interpretation of the uptime command

Hi there,

do someone have detailed information how to interpret the uptime command or rather which values can be called normal?
(i know what the information means, but i have no idea if these values are ok or to high:
3:02pm an 13:53, 2 Benutzer, Durchschnittslast: 10,06, 12,05, 13,00)

I hope that someone is in that topic and could tell me about it.

thanks
# 2  
Old 03-03-2004
Hi,

what do you mean with normal ???? This output shows you the uptime of the system and the load. This information is mostly correct.

If you have a multi CPU system, the load display can be wrong, thats all.

Regards
malcom
# 3  
Old 03-03-2004
My Problem is that i do not know how to interpret this values.
i know that they are standing for processes in the last 1, 5 and 15 minutes.
but are these the active processes or the processes in the queue?
For example there is a value 0.25 for the last 5 minutes.
how would you interpret this?

thanks
# 4  
Old 03-03-2004
Hi,

0.25 means your system has a average load of 0.25 % in the last 5 minutes.

malcom
# 5  
Old 03-03-2004
should this mean that a value of 15.97 show me a average load of 15.97%?
i canīt believe this because while the customers system displays me such a value the system had been very slow.
(like the load of 98% on a windows system)

daniel
# 6  
Old 03-03-2004
The load average is not a percentage. It can be thought of as the number of processes waiting to run. So a load average of 0.25 means on average there is 1/4 of a process waiting to run, in other words most of the time none are waiting but a quarter of the time one is.

The 15.97 means on average there are about 16 processes waiting to run. If you have a medium to large multiprocessor box this might be ok. If it is a single processor box you'll have terrible performance.

It depends on what the processors are as well. I've had a 12 processor Sun box with 400 mhz Ultrasparc II processors start slowing down at a load average of 20, while a 4 processor box with Ultrasparc III 1.05ghz processors ran fine with a load average of 30. So a rule of thumb like "load average of 2x number of procs" won't help much, you need to compare to your system's historical behavior.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpretation of UNIX command

what does the below do. echo * | xargs ls | wc –l echo * - Output a string comprising the name of each file in the working directory, with each name separated by a space. xargs ls - construct argument list command wc -l - it will pipe the output to the wc command, which will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: houmingc
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpretation needed for gawk command

Hi All I am running a insatll script in linux which installs the project. Could you please help in interpreting this command gawk '{ if (substr($1,0,1) == "\047") gsub("^\047+|\047+$", "", $1); print }' where $1 = BBME Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

3. Linux

uptime command output when the server is running more than one year?

What is the uptime command output when the server is running more than one year? My doubt is whether it show in number of days format or number years and number of days format? For example, Assume the server is running 400 days 3 hrs 3 min 3 secs. The output like 400 days 3:3 min or 1 year 5... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruthu
3 Replies

4. Solaris

uptime command not showing how long the system has been up

Hello folks, uptime command not shows how long the system has been up. I know it come from a corruption of /var/adm/utmpx file. I've done : cat /dev/null > /var/adm/utmpx Now who and last commands work fine. But uptime still give me back an answer without the "up time". In which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the uptime from the output of the uptime command

Hi! I want to extract the uptime from the output of the uptime command. The output: 11:53 up 3:02, 2 users, load averages: 0,32 0,34 0,43 I just need the "3:02" part. How can I do this? Dirk (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
6 Replies

6. Solaris

uptime and last reboot command in solaris

Hi, Can someone explain in detail what 'uptime' ,'last reboot' and 'who -b' commands do in solaris. this commands are not executing in every solaris box. why this is happening. Has solaris got some inbuilt commands into it. If yes then where i have found them? Thanks,Soubhik (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soubmukh
6 Replies

7. AIX

reset the counter days for uptime command

hello, i send the uptime command in the AIX and the days that is UP 14652 days this is around 40 years, today is with the correct date&time, hos can I reset the counter days? somebody can help me? regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timflr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting load average from uptime command

The output ofthe uptime command gives: 9:40am up 9 days, 10:36, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00 How can i extract the portion "load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

9. AIX

methods of command interpretation in AIX

what are the various methods through which a command is interpreted in AIX? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

get only the up time from uptime command

Hi all,:o i am new to shell scripting and i have aproblem like i just want to extractthe uptime of the system from an uptime command which gives the output as the Current time , how long the system has been running,how many users are surrently logged on and the system load averages for past 1,5,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tulip
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question