How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Operating Systems Solaris How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?
# 1  
Old 04-24-2008
How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal?

Hi all,

I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking?
I tried changing it using PS1='my choice'
it worked but the subsequent terminals i open will not have it as the default PS1 ,how do i change it?
also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...
So whenever i exec bash, i get the
"bash3.2#" system prompt....
How to change it permanently?

Other question is how to change the BG color of the terminal?is there a pkg available that does it or can it be done out of the box?
Again i want this to be permanent so that every time i open terminal i should get the changed BG and not the default one?

PS: am using solaris B-79a
Thanks
# 2  
Old 04-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapster
I was wondering how to change the PS1 to my liking?
Set it in your .profile.
Quote:
also i am running as super user, and i need to exec bash, to get the bash environment...
So whenever i exec bash, i get the
"bash3.2#" system prompt....
How to change it permanently?
Set /usr/bin/bash as your shell. Or better, learn ksh and use it instead.
Quote:
Other question is how to change the BG color of the terminal?
Edit -> Current Profile -> Colors
# 3  
Old 04-24-2008
I was unable to open /usr/bin/bash...
I mean it was in unreadable format!!!.
and i was not able to figure out where to enter the PS to change to my liking in the .profile (i suppose you meant /etc/profile)(using bash)

So i tried this from the terminal...
export PS1='wrapster@home'
it works
but again its gone when i do exit...
and i will have to reset it to get it back...
(i want it to be displayed it as soon as the terminal is open, say something like a default))

Also its not reflected across terminals
do i have to keep doing export every time??

Also can you be a little descriptive as to where exactly i need to set the values in /etc/profile?
# 4  
Old 04-25-2008

Hi,

You can try this one. Edit your /etc/profile. Then put the lines below.

PS1=`hostname`:'$LOGNAME[$PWD]'
export PS1

Best regards,
sodapop

# 5  
Old 04-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapster
I was unable to open /usr/bin/bash...
I mean it was in unreadable format!!!.
Why do you want to try editing the bash binary ?
What you need is:
Code:
usermod -s /usr/bin/bash wrapster
usermod -s /usr/bin/bash root

Although logging in as root is a poor practice.
Quote:
and i was not able to figure out where to enter the PS to change to my liking in the .profile (i suppose you meant /etc/profile)(using bash)
It would work but apply to every user. By .profile, I meant $HOME/.profile
Quote:
Also can you be a little descriptive as to where exactly i need to set the values in /etc/profile?
Sodapop has it right.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos

After installing centos iam not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos. However iam able to see the Open Terminal menu, when i right click and it is not working. let me know what are the things i need to check.:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to hide shell terminal and run prompt program after ssh login for specified user

Hey guys, I have some task from my office to lock user on the specified directory after the user logged on using ssh. And then run prompt program to fill the required information. Yeah, just like an ATM system. My question: How could I do those?? AFAIK I have to edit the ~./bashrc. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to log back in to unix after logging out. I have a MBPro. If I don't have the window close after exiting, then there is the phrase 'process completed' in brackets with a blinking cursor, but I can't type anything in. Is it also possible to start the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change password prompt format

Hello, I installed Kerberos on Red Hat. My testing tool checks for the prompt when user log-in. Unfortunately I don't have access to that testing tool so I have to fix somehow the prompt. My testing tool expects this format: login: XYZ Password: When I installed Kerberos I have this format:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: susja
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i change my bash prompt ?

It looks like, user@hostname:/auto/home3/user$ Desired, user@hostname$ I added following line in .bashrc, but still its same. export PS1=" $ " Please help me :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to change the UNIX password prompt?

Hi guys, I got these 3 servers: a, b and c which I ssh from a to b/c. a:$ ssh userid@b Password: a:$ ssh userid@c userid@c's password: Notice that the password prompt is different (highlighted in bold) on both servers even though their SUN Solaris version the same, OpenSSH version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change root prompt (Solaris)

Hello all. I was wondering if there is a way to change the root prompt. I am using Solaris 10 and would like to have the root prompt display the current directory along with 'SU' to indicate root status. What I have tried so far: /etc/passwd changed the root shell to korn with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change prompt

I have a Sun OS and at the moment the prompt is # and i want to change it to: root@server # can you help me please. thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drogram
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell and prompt

I want to write a shell script which will change the current shell (say from csh to bsh) and my Prompt (say my name) as desired.pls help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SHYAM
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question