Problems with DHCP_HOSTNAME for RHEL5 and RHEL6

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Problems with DHCP_HOSTNAME for RHEL5 and RHEL6
# 1  
Old 03-07-2012
Question Problems with DHCP_HOSTNAME for RHEL5 and RHEL6

Hi folks,

I have a weird problem.

I'm doing guest customization for Linux guests. During this process, I change the hostname, etc. For changing the hostname, I edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file and change the HOSTNAME field. I also add a new property called DHCP_HOSTNAME as my IP's are all DHCP based and I want my hostname to be registered in DNS.

The way I'm currently setting my DHCP_HOSTNAME is as follows:
Code:
DHCP_HOSTNAME=linuxHostname.domain.com

Now, the funny part. I'm doing the same for RHEL5 and RHEL6. It works perfectly in RHEL5.
The hostname is registered in DNS as linuxHostname.domain.com. Moreover, when I do an nslookup with the IP of this linux guest, I get the correct answer back as linuxHostname.domain.com.

But, when running with RHEL6, the name registered in DNS is linuxHostname.domain.com.domain.com !!
nslookup too returns back as linuxHostname.domain.com.domain.com

Any idea as to why this is happening?

A few points for readers:
1. The DHCP_HOSTNAME for me has to be within this file itself. I have read some posts for adding it within the ifcfg-eth0 file, but I am not sure that is an option for me.
2. I've seen that when I remove the .domain.com entry from the RHEL6 DHCP_HOSTNAME, the DNS name is registered correctly. i.e. as linuxHostname.domain.com

My questsion is in 2 parts:
1. Any idea why it works with RHEL5 and not with RHEL6?
2. Is it the right practice to add domain.com to the DHCP_HOSTNAME? Or is that the DNS's job? If I don't add the domain name, will it resolve to the correct DNS name automatically in a forest?
# 2  
Old 03-07-2012
Do you have a domain line in /etc/resolv.conf?
# 3  
Old 03-08-2012
Nope.
It has only a 'search domain.com' and other nameserver lines within it.
# 4  
Old 03-13-2012
Any suggestions on this?
# 5  
Old 03-13-2012
DNS is windows or Linux?
# 6  
Old 03-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by umar.shaikh
Nope.
It has only a 'search domain.com' and other nameserver lines within it.
You already have answer to the question!! Smilie

"search" is to append the domain name to your query.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Prod runs RHEL6 but pprod uses RHEL5??

Hi, I am currently building out a new production environment. Our current prod env uses RHEL5.8 but I am thinking of building out a RHEL6 environment since a complete end-to-end testing will need to take place prior to go-live anyway. Plus it is an ideal time to upgrade the OS across the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
4 Replies

2. Red Hat

Chroot DNS RHEL6

Hi, Just installed BIND on rhel6 as a primary new DNS server and all went well, digging and resolving as it should. However, all zone files are listed in the /var/named dir as well as the /var/named/chroot/var/named. Although no dynamic links are shown, they are. This doesn't seem secure to me,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Start problem rhel6

what can i do now??? please help me.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shakilbd
12 Replies

4. Red Hat

Mount problem in RHEL6

Hi Folks, I am trying to mount an AIX server in Linux 6, I am able to mount the path under the mount point of /mnt and also can view on df -h. But, under the /mnt there is no content ... its empty. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

dual boot RHEL5 and RHEL6

have a server pre-installed with RHEL5, with 12 SCSI disks being /dev/sda with RHEL5, and managed to put RHEL6 into /dev/sdc /dev/sda is the first bootable disk on the SCSI chain.. editing /etc/grub.conf would not allow me to boot RHEL6 , the entries seem to be right.. any advices,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Facing problems installing KVM on RHEL6

I am running RHEL 6 on VirualBox/VMWare VM and on that VM i am trying to create a KVM virtual machine. Issue is that command "egrep 'vmx|svm' /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show my any results, so that lets me think if my processor doesn't support Virtualization technology. But it does and i have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Installation of java on RHEL6

HI all, I am trying to install java on RHEL 6 in a vm. Can any one Help me How to install Java on RHEL6. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saisrinivas99
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

3d effects in rhel6

I installed rhel 6.0 in my laptop but it is not upporting 3d graphics of rhel6 and i am getting an error message "Accelerated 3d graphics not available Desktop effects require hardware 3D support." my laptop is dll studio 1558 and my graphic card is ATI Radeon 5470 with 1 gb dedicated ram. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshgupta
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

3D effects on RHEL6 OC

Hello, I just installed RHEL6 OC on my T61p. It's great! Just for fun I'd like to use some fancy cool Desktop effects. I tried to enable 3D Desktop effects from OC Welcome Center but it gave me error message: Accelerated 3D graphics is not available. Desktop effects require hardware 3D support.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: susja
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

whats new in rhel6

hi everyone please tell me what is new in rhel 6 version,than rhel 5 or rhel 5.5? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dipanjan123
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question