network protocols

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers network protocols
# 1  
Old 09-30-2002
Question network protocols

Which network protocol is used by UNIX systems to make remote file systems appear as if they are local?
# 2  
Old 09-30-2002
The most common software package for remote files under unix is NFS. Network protocols are layered. There is one layer called the "network layer" and unix mostly uses IP for the network layer.

See this link which is a fairly good description of the whole process.

I must disagree with that page on one point, though. NFS mostly uses UDP for the transport layer, but TCP support is starting to show up.
# 3  
Old 09-30-2002
That looks and sounds like a homework question...

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to disable insecure protocols?

Hello all, planning to secure AIX sever by disabling insecure protocols/cipher suites; got the below requirements from secuirty team. 1.configure the server to disable support for DES and IDEA cipher suites 2.disable insecure TLS/SSL protocol support Configure the server to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kumar7997
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

what are L2,L3 protocols.

hello forum members, What are L2 and L3 Protocols and can u brief me a bit little ie to gain a basic knowledge. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Netfilter conntracking for P2P protocols (edonkey, bittorent...)

Hi everyone, I would like to allow multi users to access P2P networks, so I wonder if there's a way to tracking these kind of protocols with netfilter, and also compatibility with nat, like the module conntrack_ftp seems to do with the FTP protocol. Thanks guys. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekkro-kvlt
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

define IP protocols on network

what method would I use to determine which IP protocols network (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar mar
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Protocols

What protocol would be the best to use on a network with nt and unix servers and windows me clients? Can SMB protocol be used to implement large networks? What protocol can be used to make remote file systems appear as if they are local? Quite a few questions I know, any help would be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnash
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question