Linux - how to turn on the the RIP (dynamic routing)

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Linux - how to turn on the the RIP (dynamic routing)
# 1  
Old 12-17-2013
Linux - how to turn on the the RIP (dynamic routing)

# 2  
Old 12-17-2013
I doubt it'd be part of the kernel. this RHEL doc suggests quagga is what they use for it, though there's probably several options. Check what service is being used for it on the servers with lots of routes.
# 3  
Old 12-17-2013
I do not advise turning on any dynamic routing protocol on your server unless you know exactly what you are doing.

First of all, most servers have one network interface and do not act as a router, so they don't need a dynamic routing protocol running.

Second, for most servers on most networks an single (static) default route is all you need.

So, just asking the question begs the question of "why do you think you need to turn on RIP?"
# 4  
Old 12-19-2013
This is what I did to start...

Code:

#vim /etc/quagga/daemons
zebra=yes
bgpd=no
ospfd=yes
ospf6d=no
ripd=no
ripngd=no 

Restart the Quagga service:

#/etc/init.d/quagga restart

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Implement inter vlan routing with Linux

Hello. I want to Communicate 2 VLAN with router like this solution: http://8pic.ir/images/83m0ouih8mmm9s1sfl56.jpg For this purpose I'm configuring 2 Linux system as a switch and connect 4 host to them. Then a router is added to scenario. The configuration of the switches is: On DUT1(Linux):... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zsn
1 Replies

2. Programming

c functions to turn off open ports in linux

nmap is a network utility which gives u information about open ports on ur system. for eg $ nmap 10.226.112.202 PORT STATE SERVICE 7/tcp open echo 13/tcp open daytime 22/tcp open ssh 23/tcp open telnet 37/tcp open time 1100/tcp open unknown these open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand121
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to turn off "discard RIP response" message

I am running a solaris 10 box and is just a workstation. I want to turn off the message below since it is annoying me. Nov 15 12:16:07 stage5 in.routed: discard RIP response; source 134.56.105.2 not on interface eri0 This message only pops up when I am in a console. Telnet doesn't see it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tecky
2 Replies

4. Linux

Routing in Linux

Hello All, I know it's a tricky probably stupid question but I'm stuck.... :( Is there any way to route different protocols through different eth cards for the same destination in Linux? With route add or something like it? For instance: FTP to/from 192.168.1.1 goes through eth0 - gw2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pmpx
1 Replies

5. Linux

linux routing

how i add new routes to my linux machine (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: youmna
1 Replies

6. AIX

Dynamic routing table

i have AIX Unix with "dynamic routing table" service enabled, but i do not need this service. How i can disable this service. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdsnbr
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Linux Routing Help

I have just recently got into using Linux RedHat 9. So far I love it, I have set it up on a server I am running. Right now I have set up Samba and am running a file server for my house. I have four computers, the linux box is connected to the internet through a switch I have. There are two NICS in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xTHESEUSx
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Setting Up Routing In Linux Redhat 9 Help

:mad: I have just recently got into using Linux RedHat 9. So far I love it, I have set it up on a server I am running. Right now I have set up Samba and am running a file server for my house. I have four computers, the linux box is connected to the internet through a switch I have. There are two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xTHESEUSx
5 Replies

9. Linux

NAT Routing in linux

How to use NAT Router in linux Redhat 6 ? and what packages and configuration are required ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question