Can a Pentium III (450mhz) have any practical use these days?

Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Can a Pentium III (450mhz) have any practical use these days?
# 1  
Old 04-18-2007
Can a Pentium III (450mhz) have any practical use these days?

Having had a big sort out at work I've brought home 3 Dell Dimension XPS-450 PCs. I've installed Ubuntu Linux on one which went fine, everything works, network, sound, Graphics Drivers etc. and it can see all the other PCs & storage on my network and can use the Shared printers from other PCs on the network.

The Specs are:-

Pentium III 450mhz
756MB Ram
Pioneer DVD-RW (X4 Speed)
16 MB Graphics Card (AGP)
80gb HDD Capacity (60gb & 20gb HDDs)
Creative Live Sound Cards
3-Com 10/100 Network Cards.
5 x USB2 Ports & Firewire Card (I added this since it was in the cupboard).

On My network I already have:-

An Athlon 3200+ Windows HTPC
A Celeron 2400 UnRaid Linux Based Raid Data Storage Server
Several Windows PCs (Mine, The Wife's & The Kids PCs)
An Athlon 3200+ "project" LinuxMCE Core machine (I'm trying to work it out)

I'm wondering whether there is any open-source software based practical uses for these PCs I could have a play with? VOIP perhaps? X-10 Home-Automation (I have some hardware)? I'll consider any purpose that these PCs could run adequately.

Or are the just ready for the skip?

I have plenty of free time & love dabbling in new projects. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark.
# 2  
Old 04-18-2007
Bug

Why not keep it as a "test" system. I have a Thinkpad T30 set aside just for dabbling with old and new operating systems and surely your system would be up to the task.

Why not take Plan 9 or eComStation for a spin?

If you want to do some serious stuff on it I'd recommend trying Xubuntu and go from there. Maybe have it as a torrentdownloader?
# 3  
Old 04-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlundh
Why not keep it as a "test" system. I have a Thinkpad T30 set aside just for dabbling with old and new operating systems and surely your system would be up to the task.
"It?" have 3 of them Smilie All connected to an old KVM switch.

Quote:
Why not take Plan 9 or eComStation for a spin?
I have no idea what either of those are, but that's exactly the sort of reply I'm looking for, thanks.

Quote:
If you want to do some serious stuff on it I'd recommend trying Xubuntu and go from there.
I installed Unbuntu as I already had an installer CD from my attempts to install LinuxMCE on another PC. I'll check out Xubunto too.

Quote:
Maybe have it as a torrentdownloader?
I don't know anything about torrents at all, are they legal?

Thanks,

Mark.
# 4  
Old 04-18-2007
Oh, you have three of them, even better! Smilie

Plan 9 is free: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
Somewhat primitive but fun.

eComStation is available on a Live-CD to try.
http://www.ecomstation.com/

I took PC-BSD for a spin just a week ago, it's a FreeBSD-based polished desktop system with KDE. Very nice if you've seen the horror that is NetBSD and/or OpenBSD-installation. Smilie
http://www.pcbsd.org/

And it doesn't stop there, there are tons and tons of useful and not-so-useful operating systems you can try out for free.

And downloading torrents can be both illegal and legal, it depends entirely on what you download. Just like, say, ftp.
# 5  
Old 04-18-2007
Thanks for the reply, what I'm really after is application uses for these PCs rather than OS's to take a look at.

Applications on the lines of:- VOIP, X-10 Home Automation, TV Recording, CCTV server, Drum Machine, Music Sequencer (One PC has Creative Live Midi interface) etc. but obviously many of these these would be beyond these PCs.

Looking for a purpose for these PCs beyond an Internet terminal that's free basically.

I did think about using one of them as an FTP or Apache server.

Mark.
# 6  
Old 04-18-2007
I have something of similar spec running in a cupboard at home. It acts as a caching proxy server, mail fetcher and spam filter among other similar things. There is always a use for these machines especially if you don't run a desktop on them.
# 7  
Old 04-18-2007
To impress people and watch your network traffic you can install EtherApe on one of them. Looks cool and gives you a view of what traffic is flowing through your network.

http://etherape.sourceforge.net/

And yes, it's available among Ubuntus Add/Remove Applications.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Looking for AIX Practical Experience

I have been in IT for around 7 years now and have benefited greatly from Open Source as well as free commercial offerings like Vmware Server that allow me to setup virtual environments and get some hands on time with different OS's and software. I am starting a new job in a few weeks which has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercrazy1
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sample Practical

Hello Today I had a beautiful test to write some commands using Ubuntu, now I want to make sure of my answers to be reassured, if I had a mistake please correct me List all files details under ubuntu Desktop. my answer: cd Desktop |ls -l Navigate to your Desktop directory and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: S4K
7 Replies

3. Solaris

what is ideal temp for US-III+

Hi all, is it okay for US-III+ running at 1200 MHZ to excced 75° C on sun fire 880 here's the output when i ran prtdiag -v on sunfire 880 running solaris10 bash-3.00# prtdiag -v System Configuration: Sun Microsystems sun4u Sun Fire 880 System clock frequency: 150 MHz Memory size: 8192... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Does Anyone has installed open solaris on a its own hardaware as Pentium or Celeron ?

Does Anyone has installed open solaris on a its own hardaware as Pentium or Celeron ? If yes, how it is working? does it needs further drivers? Thank you and greetings from Italy ? :D (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergio_italy
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux for Pentium @ 150 Mhz and 98Mb in RAM?

I don't know a lot of the world of Linux, but i want to start with an old machine; did someone knows if i can install Linux in a computer with a processor Pentium (not celeron) @ 133 Mhz, 98Mb in RAM (PC100) and 3Gb Hard Drive? a friend tell me about Ubuntu and openSUSE, but I don't know if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omega
5 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Installation of SCO OS on a assembled Pentium IV system

Hi I have been trying to install SCO OS 5.0.6 on my home PC Which has P-IV 1.7Ghz Processor 128 MB DDR ram, 20 GB HDD . However the system do boots from the cd shows the boot: prompt ............. there when i press enter key the process of loading starts but soon after that the screen goes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 881979
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix in pentium computer

Haw Can I install a solaris in my own pc at home I have try but every time it is just boot to windows what should I do about it so I can Have it at my home pc thanks All The best . . . . . . om911ar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omar911
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question