Sun Ultra 10 hardware compatibility

Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Sun Ultra 10 hardware compatibility
# 1  
Old 03-10-2004
Sun Ultra 10 hardware compatibility

How can I check if a Sun Ultra 10 workstation supports 40GB IDE drives?

Thanks!
# 2  
Old 03-10-2004
It does. I'm almost positive. We have Ultra 10's with bigger drives than that where I work. So unless some can and some can't installing a 40 GB should be no problem.

To double-check, you can go to docs.sun.com which is there documentation website. You should be able to find the Ultra 10 documentation including hardware manuals there.
# 3  
Old 03-10-2004
You should go to Sunsolve and in the middle of the page there is a place to lookup servers. Under Desktops you will find the Ultra10. Pick it and you will get this info - there you can find all the different configurations that will work with the U10.
# 4  
Old 03-10-2004

on the sun sites you will only find the supported disks..... sun does not support 40 GB disks in an u10, but they also only support their own disks.... ;-)

greetings Preßy
PS.:
i'm running an u10 with mirrored 40gb disks...
# 5  
Old 03-11-2004
I've found the supported disks list for U10 at http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U10/components.html and there is no 40GB supported drive.

I can take a 40GB drive from my PC and put it into the U10 but I don't know what commands I should type to the OK prompt (and what their output should be) to check if they are compatible. Can you please give me some hints?

Thanks!
# 6  
Old 03-11-2004
At the ok prompt use probe-ide to see what is on your ide controllers. If the disk shows up there the box can see it at least.
# 7  
Old 04-13-2004
It works!

My U10 works fine with two 40GB mirrored HDDs.

Thank you guys!
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Check Hardware compatibility via LIVE CD

Hi Can i use Solaris LIVE CD to verify that ubuntu has all drivers present for a certain desktop PC? which Live CD should i use ? there any many varities out there Before i purchase this expensive PC i want to ensure Solairs has all drivers for it. Specs are : Processor Intel Core i7... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashif_islam
1 Replies

2. Hardware

Hardware compatibility advice wanted.

If anyone here is successfully running Linux Mint and PC-BSD on two dedicated hard disk drives, (no emulator or partitioning stuff), using Phenom II or Athlon II CPU, I'd like to ask your help to pick hardware! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsel
5 Replies

3. Hardware

Linux Hardware Compatibility Guide (2007 HOWTO)

Before posting questions about Linux hardware, it is a good idea to check the Linux Hardware HOWTO guide (Last Update: 2007-05-22) However, this HOWTO has not been maintained since 2007 and it out-of-date. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Sun Fire v120 memory compatibility

Hi, I recently acquired an old Sun Fire v120 from work. I plan to play around with this at home whilst I'm studying for my SCSA exams. Only problem is it currently has no memory installed. I believe the memory modules required are 168 pin PC133 DIMMs. Unfortunately, the original Sun modules are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinyana
3 Replies

5. Solaris

sun ultra 10 monitor

hi all, it seem hard to see on a regular monitor the ultra 10 converter to rgb so that it can go to a pc monitor. do u know how can i fix the monitor properly? it's not easy to see on the monitor there's so many lines. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun Blade 100 Disk Compatibility

It's me again, I was taking my Sun Blade 100 apart last night to see what kind of drive I have. It is a Seagate ST320011A Barracuda ATA IV 20 GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/100 IDE. Now 20 gig ain't all that big anymore and I got to thinking about putting a couple bigger drives in there. although I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrewDudeBob
7 Replies

7. Solaris

sun ultra

Hi Guys, I have a 2nd hand Sun ultra-5, I wanted to know how to be able to run it as a normal window. I do not have any experience whatsoever with solaris/unix. Does anyone can give me a clue where to start. When I switch it goes to: unix console login: pa$$word: #UNIX sendmail : enable to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lingosa
0 Replies

8. Solaris

sun ultra or sun sparkstation

am wonder wich sun computer is better, a sun ultra or sun sparkstation, and what is the difference (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
7 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using a Sun Ultra 5 at work

I wouldn't call myself exactly new to Unix. I've played with Linux before so I can get around alright. I just have never really learned the basics, like setting a user's path. How do I do that on my Sun station? Obvioulsly, I've got several different bins, but I can only use the commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skinnell2
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question