RFC - Korn shell prompt

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting RFC - Korn shell prompt
# 1  
Old 06-14-2014
RFC - Korn shell prompt

Hi,

I am learning shell scripting for the first time. I use AT&T Korn Shell, Version AJM 93u+ 2012-08-01, compiled from source on NetBSD.

So far I have managed to set up what I think is a useful and pleasing shell prompt, which can be seen in the image attached to this post.

The prompt is a multi-line prompt, as follows:

Line 1 (reverse video) shows the TERM variable, together with TTY, SHELL, and the date and time as it was when the prompt was updated.
(The print -f statement formats this line so that the text is right-aligned and the reverse-video bar takes up the whole width of the terminal, even if it is resized. It uses the COLUMNS variable to achieve this.)

Line 2 shows the host I am connected to (obscured for security).

Line 3 shows the job number and current working directory.

Line 4 shows the user name and the prompt itself.

I have just one problem: unless I symlink /bin/ksh93 to /bin/sh (the default shell on NetBSD) I get errors about "bad substitution". I am certain my prompt is causing this problem, but I still don't know enough to say what is wrong. Would somebody be so kind as to look at my PS1 and tell me where I am going wrong, and where I can improve it? I have learned quite a bit about if...then and case statements while learning how to do this prompt, but I am still unclear about brackets, single quotes and double quotes.

The following is the relevant part of my .kshrc file. I have split the PS1 lines for readability but they are all on one line in the file.

Code:

ttyhere=$(tty | sed -e "s:/dev/::")                                               
timenow=$(date +"%H:%M %Y%m%d")                                                   
currshell=$(print "$SHELL" | sed -e "s:/bin/::")                                  

PS1='$(print -f "\n\E[1;7m%${COLUMNS}s\E[0m\n" "[$TERM] \
[$ttyhere] [$currshell] [Time at prompt: $timenow] "; \
print "[$(hostname)]"; \
print -n "[\E[1;36m!\E[0m]"; \
if [[ "${PWD#$HOME}" != "$PWD" ]] then; \
print "[\E[1;35m~${PWD#$HOME}\E[0m]"; \
else; print "[\E[1;35m$PWD\E[0m]"; fi; \
if [[ $(id -u) -ne 0 ]] then; \
print "[\E[1;36m$(id -un)\E[0m]$ "; \
else; print "[\E[1;35m$(id -un)\E[0m]# "; \
fi;)' ;;

RFC - Korn shell prompt-promptpng

Last edited by gezley; 06-14-2014 at 03:22 AM.. Reason: Formatting
# 2  
Old 06-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezley
Hi,

I am learning shell scripting for the first time. I use AT&T Korn Shell, Version AJM 93u+ 2012-08-01, compiled from source on NetBSD.

So far I have managed to set up what I think is a useful and pleasing shell prompt, which can be seen in the image attached to this post.

The prompt is a multi-line prompt, as follows:

Line 1 (reverse video) shows the TERM variable, together with TTY, SHELL, and the date and time as it was when the prompt was updated.
(The print -f statement formats this line so that the text is right-aligned and the reverse-video bar takes up the whole width of the terminal, even if it is resized. It uses the COLUMNS variable to achieve this.)

Line 2 shows the host I am connected to (obscured for security).

Line 3 shows the job number and current working directory.

Line 4 shows the user name and the prompt itself.

I have just one problem: unless I symlink /bin/ksh93 to /bin/sh (the default shell on NetBSD) I get errors about "bad substitution". I am certain my prompt is causing this problem, but I still don't know enough to say what is wrong. Would somebody be so kind as to look at my PS1 and tell me where I am going wrong, and where I can improve it? I have learned quite a bit about if...then and case statements while learning how to do this prompt, but I am still unclear about brackets, single quotes and double quotes.

The following is the relevant part of my .kshrc file. I have split the PS1 lines for readability but they are all on one line in the file.

Code:

ttyhere=$(tty | sed -e "s:/dev/::")                                               
currshell=$(print "$SHELL" | sed -e "s:/bin/::")                                  

print "[$(hostname)]"; \
if [[ "${PWD#$HOME}" != "$PWD" ]] then; \
else; print "[\E[1;35m$PWD\E[0m]"; fi; \
if [[ $(id -u) -ne 0 ]] then; \
else; print "[\E[1;35m$(id -un)\E[0m]# "; \
fi;)' ;;

Attachment 5787
Try changing to:
Code:
ttyhere=$(tty)
ttyhere=${ttyhere##*/}                                               
currshell=${SHELL##*/}                                  

print "[$(hostname)]"; \
if [ "${PWD#$HOME}" != "$PWD" ];then \
else print "[\E[1;35m$PWD\E[0m]"; fi; \
if [ $(id -u) -ne 0 ];then \
else print "[\E[1;35m$(id -un)\E[0m]# "; \
fi)'

The main problem was the missing ; between ]] and then in two places in your if statements.

You have some other ;s that aren't needed, but they wouldn't keep your script from working.

You can use [ expression ] instead of [[ expression ]] with the expressions you're using, but either will work with a 1993 or later version of ksh.

The changes to ttyhere and currshell are just performance improvements.

Keep the ;; I removed at the end of this if it is code that has been extracted from the end of a choice in a case statement; otherwise, it is likely to be a syntax error.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 3  
Old 06-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Try changing to:
Code:
ttyhere=$(tty)
ttyhere=${ttyhere##*/}                                               
currshell=${SHELL##*/}                                  

print "[$(hostname)]"; \
if [ "${PWD#$HOME}" != "$PWD" ];then \
else print "[\E[1;35m$PWD\E[0m]"; fi; \
if [ $(id -u) -ne 0 ];then \
else print "[\E[1;35m$(id -un)\E[0m]# "; \
fi)'

The main problem was the missing ; between ]] and then in two places in your if statements.
Thank you Don! I am hugely embarrassed to tell you that it now turns out my "bad substitution" problem was down to a bad alias. When I substituted your prompt for mine I still had the error, so I looked more closely at the rest of my .kshrc and .profile and commented out bit by bit till I narrowed it down to the following rogue statement, which is meant to return the version of ksh I am running:
Code:
alias kv="print ${.sh.version}"

Dear oh dear. So sorry! But I am happy you've cleaned up my prompt. I'm now going to go off and figure out what you did with my TTY and SHELL variables.
Quote:
You have some other ;s that aren't needed, but they wouldn't keep your script from working.
This one has me perplexed. I've looked through the prompt and can't really put my finger on the ;s which could be removed. Edit: I see them now, after the else keywords and fi.
Quote:
You can use [ expression ] instead of [[ expression ]] with the expressions you're using, but either will work with a 1993 or later version of ksh.
Done.
Quote:
Keep the ;; I removed at the end of this if it is code that has been extracted from the end of a choice in a case statement; otherwise, it is likely to be a syntax error.
haha! Well spotted. Indeed I do have a case statement, which accommodates Emacs: when I open a shell inside emacs TERM is reported as "dumb", and the first line of the prompt is slightly different, so I just use this case statement to fix the issue that arises. A learning exercise for me really.
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to fix this for me! Now off for more learning!

Smilie

Last edited by gezley; 06-14-2014 at 07:29 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two-line prompt using Korn

I'm attempting to set up a two-line prompt using Korn. This is what I've set up in .kshrc PS1='$(print -n "`logname`@`hostname`:";if ] then; print -n "~${PWD#$HOME}"; else; print -n "$PWD";fi;print "\n$ ")' And in .profile, ENV="$HOME/.kshrc"; export ENV The hosts that in use are... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnpepper
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

MKS KORN SHELL WONT EXECUTE from windows command prompt

Can anybody help me with this small script , the script works fine and launches the IE from c:\documents and settings \test\my documents>ksh prompt $RunURL1.sh this scitpt works and launches the ie from ksh , but when i schedule it to run the script then i get the error box saying command:1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Database connection from korn shell prompt

Hello, I want to connect to Database through shell command line. Here is my command from putty, $ sqlplus -S ora/ora@ORA But I am not able to connact to database. If this command succed, what is the expected output on shell prompt? Could you please let me know how to connact to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

6. AIX

korn prompt autocompletion possible ?

My client`s system is an AIX 4.2 and using the Kron shell. I was just wondering if it is possible to have the prompt autocompletion enabled on it without changing shell version. By autocompletion, I mean to automatically complete the filenames or directories we type in using the Tab key. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert from korn shell to normal shell with this code?

well i have this code here..and it works fine in kornshell.. #!/bin/ksh home=c:/..../ input=$1 sed '1,3d' $input > $1.out line="" cat $1.out | while read a do line="$line $a" done echo $line > $1 rm $1.out however...now i want it just in normal sh mode..how to convert this?... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
21 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KORN Shell - Spawn new shell with commands

I want to be able to run a script on one server, that will spawn another shell which runs some commands on another server.. I have seen some code that may help - but I cant get it working as below: spawn /usr/bin/ksh send "telnet x <port_no>\r" expect "Enter command: " send "LOGIN:x:x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question