firewall errors with appache 2.0

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers firewall errors with appache 2.0
# 1  
Old 01-24-2005
Data firewall errors with appache 2.0

Hi!, I am a bit of a linux neebie. I just installed and setup appache 2. I have it all installed the way it should be according to the appache documentation. When i try to view my page i find that i can't. Can someone help me please Smilie
# 2  
Old 01-24-2005
More info might help. Consider posting your *nix version, config info, and any errors you are getting.
# 3  
Old 01-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty
I have it all installed the way it should be according to the appache documentation. When i try to view my page i find that i can't.
Following the documentation does not necessarily work. It all depends on what you are trying to do. You noted in the subject that it is a firewall problem. How do you know this? If it is a firewall blocking issue, you ought to be able to view your site as localhost. I suppose no firewall is configured to block the loopback interface or a lot of programs will not work (not just Apache).

Do give us your observation with the localhost test. File not found/Forbidden/Internal server error (that sounds like some Apache configuration errors)? Connection refused (that will be the server is not/cannot be started at all!)? If localhost test is okay, but remote access fails, then it will probably be a firewall issue (if Apache is not misconfigured to listen on the wrong network interface). If you guess it is a firewall issue, you may wish to do a /usr/sbin/iptables -L to dump your firewall rules and post here.
# 4  
Old 01-30-2005
Java

thanks for your help, i have tried all kinds of things since my last post, and made no real head way. I tried the localhost connection and all i got was an error statng that my connection was the error "connection was refused when attempting to connect to localhost". I am using a fedoracore 2 linux distro. but how do i post my . conf file?
# 5  
Old 01-30-2005
Have you checked to see if apache is listening on a port, for example port 80?

Please post the output of this command:

netstat -t

or

netstat -tn
# 6  
Old 01-30-2005
It's very likely that your Apache is not started at all. First, do as Neo suggested to check whether Apache is listening on a port (80 for http or 443 for https, unless you change them). If it is not started, try to start it manually, with something like

/usr/sbin/apachectl start

It will usually give you some error messages if it cannot be started owing to configuration errors. Or, you will find this information in the Apache error logs, somewhere like /var/log/httpd (different installations put it at different places --- you will find it set by the ErrorLog Apache configuration directive in the httpd.conf)

[Neo: Isn't "netstat -ln" a better command for checking listen()ing servers?]
# 7  
Old 01-30-2005
Dear cbkihong,

Yes, netstat -ln works better for just listening sockets, as does netstat -an (all, including listening sockets).

.... the -t options used to stand for "all TCP sockets", and I thought that also included listening TCP sockets, .... not only active ones, but I might be thinking about an older version of netstat.

My guess is that Shifty has a configuration error and apache httpd is not starting.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Firewall?

Dear All I have put my windows machine behind my centos firewall server with just one NIC. At now, the windows machine can ping 192.9.9.3 but cannot resolve valid url (like www.google.com). I have set DNS for it as well. Can you please let me know what is the missing step? Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hadimotamedi
6 Replies

2. SuSE

Firewall

Is there a command line interface to the firewall? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies

3. AIX

Firewall

:b:Hi,, How do configure firewall in aix.. similar to linux iptable. Rgards, k.sumathi. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Major OS errors/Bash errors help!!!!

Hi all, dummy here.... I have major errors on entering the shell. On login I get: -bash: dircolors: command not found -bash: tr: command not found -bash: fgrep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: grep: command not found -bash: id: command not found -bash: [: =: unary... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wcmmlynn
12 Replies

5. Solaris

appache server installation

hi , I am trying to install appache 2 on solaris 9 over SPARC . i have configured the server , run make and make install . but when i try to start the appachectl it is giving me an error. it says that : "ld.so.1: /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
9 Replies

6. AIX

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Adapter Errors and Link Errors

$ errpt | more IDENTIFIER TIMESTAMP T C RESOURCE_NAME DESCRIPTION 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi1 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR B8113DD1 0802050205 T H fcs1 LINK ERROR 3074FEB7 0802050205 T H fscsi0 ADAPTER ERROR B8113DD1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcastill66
0 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Looking Out from Behind a Firewall

Would it be possible to restrict access to internet pages in the following way? A machine: IP = 128.1.17.123 Only pages from domains of the type "go.jp" and "ne.jp" are viewable. All others are not viewable or only partly viewable. B machine: IP = 128.1.17.146 Regardless of the domain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mntamago
4 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

What Firewall do you use?

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot of people here use Linux IPTables as their firewall. Anyone here use something else like OpenBSD PF or *BSD IPF, IPFW? I'm quite fond of OpenBSD and their Packet Filters. I find their syntax much easier to manage and from my personal experience, I find them... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarballed
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question