unzipping _client.cpio.gz issue

Operating Systems AIX unzipping _client.cpio.gz issue
# 1  
Old 01-06-2011
unzipping _client.cpio.gz issue

Hi,

FYI I've this AIX6.1 machine that I'm telnet to using Putty. I have this oracle client file which is 1G+ that took me several hours to transfer.

I was trying to unzip 10gr2_aix5l64_client.cpio.gz.
Code:
# gunzip 10gr2_aix5l64_client.cpio.gz /usr/app/oracle
gunzip: /usr/app/oracle is a directory -- ignored

now I see, instead of cpio.gz its .cpio. I don't want the installer to be messed up.
Code:
# cd /usr
# ls
10gr2_aix5l64_client.cpio

please help/advice.

Code:
# whoami
root

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
previously I've also ..not sure if it's related
Code:
# mkdir -p /usr/app/oracle
# chown -R oracle:oinstall /usr/app/oracle
# chmod -R 775 /usr/app/oracle

Thanks
# 2  
Old 01-06-2011
All gunzip does is uncompress the file in the directory where it resides it does not redirect the output.

The syntax of your command is trying to unzip /usr/app/oracle no wonder it is complaining.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 01-06-2011 at 01:58 PM..
# 3  
Old 01-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf
All gunzip does is uncompress the file in the directory where it resides it does not redirect the output.

The syntax of your command is trying to unzip /usr/app/oracle no wonder it is complaining.
thanks for the response
1)
https://www.unix.com/shell-programmin...g-problem.html
okay, so the file now has been compressed from cpio.gz to cpio?

2)
so now would it be okay if I
Code:
cpio -idmv 10gr2_aix5l64_client.cpio

reason me asking first coz i dont want to mess up that file...took me like 8hours to ftp it Smilie
# 4  
Old 01-06-2011
Just take a backup of the file away from where you have it now and try the cpio command as you have typed it here. I have not used the command for a long time as most things are in TAR format. However I thought the syntax for the command was:

Code:
cpio -idmv <filename

However I might be wrong!

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 01-06-2011 at 01:59 PM..
# 5  
Old 01-06-2011
Code:
# cpio -idmv < 10gr2_aix5l64_client.cpio

cpio: 0511-903 Out of phase!
         cpio attempting to continue...

cpio: 0511-904 skipping 301202 bytes to get back in phase!
         One or more files lost and the previous file is possibly corrupt!

Segmentation fault(coredump)
#

but when i tried
Code:
cpio  -idcmv <10gr2_aix5l64_client.cpio

Disk1/install/images
Disk1/install
Disk1/response/clientruntime.rsp
Disk1/response/clientcustom.rsp
Disk1/response/instantClient.rsp
Disk1/response/clientadmin.rsp
Disk1/response
Disk1/welcome.html
Disk1

I think is good...next step > figure out how to launch/install this oracle client Smilie let's see........
# 6  
Old 01-06-2011
Any time if you want check the format of a file, you can run:
Code:
# file filename

So you can know if the file already uncompressed.

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 01-06-2011 at 01:59 PM..
# 7  
Old 01-11-2011
hye,2 quick question........

AIX 6.1 ->
1) can a 64bit oracle client installer be installed on a 32 bit platform? Smiliewould it work?

Windows server 2008 ->
2)can an oracle client instant 10g express for windows2008 > connect to an oracle server 10g server? or both need to be XE/express?

Last edited by pilotHans; 01-11-2011 at 04:58 AM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Issue: Unzipping file containing files/folders with a similar name

Hi, I have a zip file created on a Linxux server that I need to extract on a Windows machine... The zip file containing folders with the same name but they each have a different case, one if camel case and the other is just capitalised. When I extract using 7zip, I get prompted if I want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while Unzipping

Hi, I have transfered a Zip file from Windows to Unix and tried to Unzip it in Unix using ksh. But it throws an error: error : missing 24 bytes in zipfile (attempting to process anyway) error : attempt to seek before beginning of zipfile (please check that you have transferred or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping the file

I have my folder structure like a file a.zip is placed in one folder. Inside a.zip is two other zip files x.zip and y.zip If i unzip x.zip i have folder a folder z and inside folder z there are different folders with event time appended to it. Inside the every event folder ,I have a sub folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: weknowd
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping a file in Solaris - Issue with xls file

Hi, I have an excel file generated by system in windows. I am zipping it, transfering to unix and unzipping there. But i'm getting below output while unzipping. $ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d . Archive: 123.zip inflating: ./123/Index.xls When i copy this unzipped xls file to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarb
0 Replies

6. Solaris

CPIO issue

Hello, I am running Solaris and trying to install Oracle 10g. I have the software on my server and I am trying to extract the file using cpio -idmv. It seems to be taking a very long time and when I monitor it using top, it is sleeping and the cpu is 0%. Any ideas as to what may be going on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Error while UNZIPPING

Hi, I have file.zip in windows machine, i moved that .zip to unix throught ftp. when i tried to unzip the .zip file getting the error. please see the below information for the same. I am using the below command to UNZIP : unzip /users/test/file.zip /users/test/test111 Below are the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srujana
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

unzipping problem

Hi, I have downloaded the oracle 9i software from oracle website. The file is in the following format. "lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz" I need to unzip this file for installing oracle9i in my system. I tried with the following command to unzip the file "$gunzip lnx_920_disk1.cpio.gz" but i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
2 Replies

9. AIX

URGENT --problem in unzipping

when try to unzip a very big file facing an error of disk full. can any body help me to unzip this file . $ unzip abc.zip Archive: abc.zip inflating: abc.zrp abc.zip write error (disk full?). Continue? (y/n/^C) $ n Thanks & Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unzipping

Ok, im a lame newb, i know, but what are all the options for the tar command, and how do i use it properly...? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FalconX2
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question