Hello

I installed solaris 9, but when I reboot the box, I got this message

WARNING:add_spec:No major number for mpt

Someone know what means ??

Because I canīt find the message answer.

Thanks in advance
# 2  
Old 11-22-2004
I see some stuff on Sunsolve for this error on Solaris 8, but I don't find anything for Solaris 9. One of the possible solutions offered for 8 looks like it might work on 9. No guarantees here, but you might give it a try.

Manually edit /etc/name_to_major and add a line at the end. The line will be:
mpt nnn
where nnn is the next number. So if the last line currently is:
atapicd 135
you would add
mpt 136

After the change, you must reboot.

The other procedure involves removing patches, making server edits to other files in /etc and then re-installing the patches. It is quite involved and the specific patches would not be known since you're using Solaris 9.

If you have Sun support, I would call them on this one. If not, I would try the above procedure. If you try it, please post again to let us know how it worked.
# 3  
Old 11-23-2004
Works fine, no message appears again

Thanks Perderabo

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Du -sh in / message

I have cloned a zLinux server and whenever I issue the command 'du -sh' on the / it always gives the below message: du: cannot access `./proc/3721/task/3721/fd/4': No such file or directory du: cannot access `./proc/3721/task/3721/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory du: cannot access... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: schizoprenics
5 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt (How to format message.txt for html email)

ssmtp has been running well under Kubuntu 12.04.1 for plain text messages. I would like to send html messages with ssmtp -t < /path/to/the/message.txt, but I cannot seem to get the message.txt file properly formatted. I have tried various charsets, Content-Transfer-Encoding, rearranging the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ronald B
0 Replies

3. Programming

[XQuery] How to Convert from JSON Message to XML Message with XQuery

Hi guys, I'm in a job of converting a restful webservice to soap. Tool for convertation uses XQuery. Now i need to convert a message like this: { "firstName": "John", "midName": null, "lastName": "Smith", "married": false, "address": { "streetAddress": "21 2nd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

4. Programming

Help with message class

May I know how to create message class in order to store input data from the command line, so that the output will come from this class? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eel
4 Replies

5. Programming

message and method

Differentiate between the message and method. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robinglow
2 Replies

6. Solaris

What is this message!?

While logged on to a box, I got the message: Broadcast Message from oracle (pts/4) on hostname.xx-xxxx.xxx Thu Mar 19 19:00:38... root: Will system be available for use tonight? n -----> this was my response ksh: n: not found Where does this originate from? Did somebody send it to my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FeNiCrC_Neil
6 Replies

7. Programming

How to limit max no of message in a posix message queue

Hii can anyone pls tell how to limit the max no of message in a posix message queue. I have made changes in proc/sys/fs/mqueue/msg_max But still whenever i try to read the value of max. message in the queue using attr.mq_curmsgs (where struct mq_attr attr) its giving the default value as 10.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

8. Solaris

scp message

Hi, I will copy a file with /usr/bin/scp -v /tmp/gaga venus:/tmp The result is: PVER1 GERR00Unkonw switch supplied Wath's the matter Thank's a lot Urs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuellerUrs
2 Replies

9. Programming

Message queues

Hi all, I've been trying for hours to figure out how to turn my 2-program (one to send and one to receive) "chat system" using message queues, into a single program where each concurrent component (entity) will both send and receive messages. PLEASE give me a hand with this, I'm starting to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgchato
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Welcome Message

I have a regular user account in one of the solaris machines. I have been trying to display a message when I log on by modifying my .profile file e.g. +-------------+ .profile +--------------+ echo "Welcome <user>" echo "Today is: "`date` etc. etc. The message keeps on popping... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question