How to find server that hosts my home directory?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find server that hosts my home directory?
# 1  
Old 10-26-2010
How to find server that hosts my home directory?

At work I have two sets of systems, my Primary network and Secondary network. Each consists of 4 servers, 3 of them for doing work (Idaho, Omaha, Juno) and hosting the processes we work on and 1 holds all the home directories (Sword). So Idaho, Omaha and Juno use Sword for home directories (user profiles, aliases, etc).

The Secondary network is the same set up. I wish to know how I can figure out what server hosts the home directories (i.e. Sword equivalent)

Forgive me if I can't describe my problem that well as I'm not Unix savvy yet
# 2  
Old 10-26-2010
Well, "df ~" will tell you if there is a mount (host:/dir) on your home dir.
# 3  
Old 10-26-2010
What Operating System is each (or all) of the other server running?
Are you using unix NFS or some clever hardware?

Off topic. Interesting server names. Sort of D-Day meets the Apaches.
# 4  
Old 10-26-2010
The operating system is HP-UX.11i Version 1.

And yes they are named after the Normandy beaches. I screwed up though, I meant to say Utah not Idaho. I have no idea why I wrote Idaho on here. And our SVN server is called Gold.
# 5  
Old 10-26-2010
So, does df of the home dir show a host:dir ?
# 6  
Old 10-26-2010
Code:
man ypcat

??
# 7  
Old 10-26-2010
Code:
niscat

??

You can find home dirs in /etc/passwd unless they hid on niscat or ypcat.

But detecting if it is a mount and the host depends on other tools, like df, unless it is mounted somehow to look like a local disk.

Last edited by DGPickett; 10-27-2010 at 05:19 PM..

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change sFTP home directory for particular user and from specific server

Hello Folks, Of course i came here for your favour :) How to set a defalult home directory for sFTP login ( at present users land in to their home directrory) when they connect from specific server. When server(A) sFTP's to Linux server(B) they land to thier home directory. I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thala
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the GB files in /tmp directory in remote server

Hi, i need help on shell scripting. Main intention of the script is step 1: ssh to remote server Step 2: cd /tmp in remote server Step 3: in tmp i want to grep only files and directories which are in GB sizes All the servers list file is - tmpsrv.txt vi tmpsrv.txt ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find weblogic home directory

Hi, I am trying to find the weblogic home directory whether it is installed in the Linux box. if it is existing display the weblogic home and the corresponding Java home directory else display message as that wl home does not exist. I already wrote a program but it was not working properly.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: spgreddy
11 Replies

5. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

6. Solaris

find home directory paths for all users

How to find al the user's home directories? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find recently updated files in home directory

Is there a shell command that will allow me to list index files in the /home directory for all users on a server that have been updated within the past 24 hours? (e.g. index.htm .html .php in/home/user1/public_html /home/user2/public_html /home/user3/public_html etc ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kain
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find out the home directory of a user??

Hi all, I would like to know how to find out the home directory of a particular user.. eg, If am the root , then my Home directory will be / if say am just a user logging into the terminal then my home dir would change, so accordingly i would like to know how to find it out... I know that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
7 Replies

9. Solaris

running sshd server from home directory without root access

Hi, I managed to install openssh from source on my home directory on a server I don't have root access to. I had problems with privilege separation because of permissions initially so I disabled it in sshd_config. But when I run sshd from where I installed it by doing ~/local/sbin/sshd, nothing at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question