Want to hide password

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to hide password
# 1  
Old 09-29-2006
Want to hide password

All,

In my script I am calling another script.. in that script I need to enter a password. Problem is that everyone is able to see the password when I enter that. Is there any way that when i enter that password it should not display or may look like *******.

Or if there any other way that I save this password somewhere else so that no need to enter that password.

Thanks & Regards
A K
# 2  
Old 09-29-2006
Helo.
try:
Code:
stty -echo
read passwd
stty echo

Regards.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide password in shell script?

I am writing a shell script for sql loader (just copy part of the code) : For security reason, I have to put the below loginName and password into another separate file instead of in the same file of this script. Anyone can give me a hand. Thanks. Shell Script :... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaewong
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide password from processes in Linux

i have a shell script which calls a java program with username and password arguments. #!/bin/ksh #set some classpaths here #finally run the command java com.test -u $U -p $P Now when i run it, the password shows up in the list of processes. I am not the admin on the server so cant... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariesb2b
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to hide password when using echo cmd?

Hi Am using unix Aix Ksh I need to hide the password using echo cmd Connecting the database and fetching ip_address and password from one table. greping the IP_address and password using two variable IP_addr Pawd Then Used echo cmd echo " connecting to $IP-addr and $Pawd" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password wont hide when I type it!!

Hi there, I found out a very strange behavior. If I call ssh, my password will be invisible when I'm prompted to type it: santiago@cassiopee:~$ ssh titan.caoba.fr "echo connected" santiago@titan.caoba.fr's password: <--- password is hidden when typed connected santiago@cassiopee:~$ If I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to hide password in bash script?

Dear folks, The title of my thread says mostly all of what I want to do. Basically I want to auto-ssh to a remote host, and run a program on it (VLC is just an example). I wrote a script which calls xterm and then runs expect on it. The code is as follow #!/bin/bash export PASS="xxxxxxx"... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: dukevn
22 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i hide username/password

hi all, i run sqlplus command on unix(HP-UX) like "sqlplus username/password@serverA @deneme.sql" but when someone run "ps -ef | grep sqlplus", it can see my username and password :( How can i hide username and password. thanx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: temhem
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hide password in file with sed

I have a properties file that contains passwords, need to hide the passwords before the properties file can be distributed. Input file: prop1=1 prop2=2 password=123456 this is a test pw prop3=3 password=789abc this is a prod pw My sed command is: sed 's/password=.*/password=xxx/g' <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakwoodman
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Do I Hide the Password in a Script

Hi, I am writing a UNIX .ksh script and need to send the login password of the login id that is executing the script to a command that I am executing in the script. I don't want that password to be seen by anyone except whoever is executing the script. Does anyone know how I can accomplish... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samd
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to hide password on Linux?

Hi falks, I have the following ksh code: echo "Enter VS Admin password:" oldstty=`stty -g` stty -echo intr '$-' read password stty $oldstty echo This code ask from a user to enter his password. The OS suppose to hide the entering of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

10. Programming

hide password typing

I am doing a project in C program which requires to type in password in Unix terminal. Does anybody know how to shade or not output any words typed by user in the terminal? I use the function scan() to read typing from user. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question