Questions about network layout

Special Forums IP Networking Questions about network layout
# 1  
Old 02-01-2008
Questions about network layout

Hello all, thinking and reading of networks always make me think, and I have some questions, let me draw a sketch of the network I have, and then I'll put the questions:

[Internet]--->[Linux Bridge]--->[Windows 2003 Server]--->[D-Link Switch DES 1024D]-->Hosts

This is the big layout, now, the Linux Bridge has 3 NICS, two for making the bridge between the internet and the w2k3, and one for network management and squid.

The Windows 2003 Server handles DHCP and DNS, altough I don't like W2k3, this is necessary for the current IP Phone we have here that just don't work with the Linux NAT, so this is way this network is so messy.
Now for the questions:

1) The D-Link Switch is a basic 24 ports switch, is it possible to make for instance 12 ports on the switch to receive an IP like 10.0.0.0/24 and the other 12 ports receive 10.0.1.0/24? With Linux or Windows, really, I just want to know if it's possible. Remember that this Switch is a "dumb" Switch, does not have any administration on it.

2) Is it possible to build VLans with the Linux bridge? Or for this I would really need the Linux to actually handles DHCP et all?

3) Also, let's say we put a Wireless router, just to route internet and not intranet stuff.Eere should it be best? Right attached on the Windows 2003 with a different NIC to make a physical different connection, and then let W2k3 handle this, or on the Linux Bridge making it part of the bridge?

Please see that the Network layout can change (ie, putting the linux bridge as DHCP and DNS servers, and letting the W2k3 just for Active Directory et all), but it would be best if it didn't changes, because of the god forsaken Ip Phone that can't work fine with the Linux NAT.

Thanks a lot!!! Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk format layout

Hi Gurus, I've a sample output from a script with a header as shown below. The formatting is a little bit out of alignment when it's sent out via email. Sample output: Label Date New Data #AB Removed #CD Net Change Statistic 2012-06-03 21807 mb 206 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing table layout

Hi everyone, I'm a beginner in Unix, and would need some help from you guys! My input (pipe delimited): City|ZIP|Ref. Item NYC|212|00004 NYC|212|00032 NYC|212|00006 LA|90049|00068 LA|90049|00009 SF|94131|0027 You can see that the first 3 lines have column 1 and 2 in common, same for... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
8 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

4. IP Networking

Some Network Questions

Hi!! I'm studing TCP/IP because in two weeks i'm having an important test... I've been reading Tanenbaum's Computer Networks and tcpipguide.com but i still have some questions that i could't find an answer... The most of the cuestions are related to ARQ (Automatic Repeat-reQuest)... - I don't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandia_man
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk layout

Apologize if I hurt anyone's head with my questions, I'm entirely new to Unix and my office here doesn't offer any training just learn as you go. Anyways they asked me to get a disk layout of one of our servers and gave me this as an example the lables are assumptions Disk ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newdigitalblue
2 Replies

6. Programming

memory layout in C on linux

Hi, Does any one know what tool to use to visualize how is memory layed out for C on linux systems. I mean how much stack portion is used in functional call. Where exactly does the argument to function sit in memory ? I have written small program pasted below. But I am not able to infer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parasa
3 Replies

7. Programming

The stack layout

I try to solve the problem https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?p=86595 use stack hack method, I am puzzled the stack layout. under vc6.0, the following code work(in release mode). #include <stdio.h> void change() { int x; int j; (&x) = 5; // if in debug mode, change to (&x) = 5;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChenMing
1 Replies

8. SuSE

Keyboard Layout

ok, I am having a seriouse problem! I can not wite in my landguidge, I live in sweden but I seem to have an american keyboard layout so I cant write some letters and all the key commands are all messed up. Does anyone know where I can find a swedisch keyboard layout? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimm
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

network interface questions

I can't remember or figure out how to do this. What is the command(s) in Solaris 8 sparc to show the values operating a NIC, specifically the negotiated transfer rate (10/100) and mode (full/half duplex)? Also, how can I force 100 Mb full (the network is just a crossover cable, and the other box is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question