Selecting Unique Values from many List

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Selecting Unique Values from many List
# 1  
Old 04-27-2009
Selecting Unique Values from many List

I have a question

I have like 19 different list which contains the name of the server but what I need is just unique ones.

First thing I need to do is just make a unique list within the list itself
i.e. delete anything that is repeated inside the list
like for example

in list1
i have
a
b
c
d
e
a
c
f
g
h

so i just need is a b c d e f g h i mean unique values which is easier anyone can do it i guess.
For the first list its ok

Like that i have 19 liist and i have to do that the same thing which is ok not that hard

the problem is now,

there should not be anything repeating in any one of those list
i.e. if something is there in the first list means that should not be in 2nd list and so on. so that means
for the first list its ok i dont need to do anything as it is after deleting the duplicates

second list I have to compare with the first list and delete if anything from the first list

third list i have to compare with first and second list and anything present in first or second list I have to delete from third list and so on upto 19 list

Plz can anyone suggest me how can i do that

let me know if anything confusing

just i want is not repeated in any one of those 19 list i hope thats pretty much clear

Thanks In advance
its serious problem im having
# 2  
Old 04-27-2009
Pipe it through sort -u

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script: selecting rows that have the same values in two columns

Hello, everyone I am beginner for shell programming. I want to print all lines that have the same values in first two columns data: a b 1 2 a a 3 4 b b 5 6 a b 4 6 what I expected is : a a 3 4 b b 5 6 but I searched for one hour in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines having same values for first two columns

Hello to all. This is first post. Kindly excuse me if I do not adhere to any rules and regulations of this forum. I have a file containing some rows with three columns each per row(separeted by a space). There are certain rows for which first two columns have same value but the value in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojmalhotra13
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List unique values and count instances in .csv file

I need to take the second column of a .csv file and count the number of instances of each unique value in that same second column. I'd like the output to be value,count sorted by most instances. Thanks for any guidance! Data example: 317476,317756,0 816063,318861,0 313123,319091,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batcho
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting record by matching in two columns values

Hi Guys ! i want to search a record in file by matching two values in a record in two different columns suppose i have 3 columns and i want to select all those values from col1 for which in col3 has a specific value e.g select all "john" from column1 where column 3 has a value of "20" ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ourned
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in selecting line numbers between two values

Hi! I've a file as shown below 1 hello 2 how 5 are 3 you 4 hello 5 world Every statement consists of line numbers at the beginning which are not in sequence. Now I want to select all the line numbers which are present between the line numbers specified by the user.. For example... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abk07
1 Replies

6. Programming

Selecting array values

I have two arrays DIST(1:NCOF) and X(1:NX) Let NCOF = 5 and NX = 15, with DIST = and X = I want to create an array that puts a zero if DIST is outside the region in X, otherwise putting 1. In this example I should get RES = Using DIST = would give RES = The values in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

7. Programming

selecting values of date

In a table, date is stored in a column as "2011-01-4". If I write query to get the dates > "2011-01-06" , then the date "2011-01-4" is also listed. The date stored in the column is a varchar datatype. So how can I make a query to not display the date "2011-01-4" ? Is there any solution ? Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting rows based on values in columns

Hi My pipe delimited .txt file contains rows with 10 columns. Can anyone advise how I output to file only those rows with the letters ‘ci' as the first 2 characters in the 3rd column ? Many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malts18
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

return a list of unique values of a column from csv format file

Hi all, I have a huge csv file with the following format of data, Num SNPs, 549997 Total SNPs,555352 Num Samples, 157 SNP, SampleID, Allele1, Allele2 A001,AB1,A,A A002,AB1,A,A A003,AB1,A,A ... ... ... I would like to write out a list of unique SNP (column 1). Could you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoeberunner
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent: selecting unique specific content of a file using shell script

Hi, I have a file whose content and format at places is as given below. print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn .... skip 1 line print coloumn ... skip 1 line I need to select the following : print coloumn .... coloumn .... coloumn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question