Is this a varible type?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is this a varible type?
# 1  
Old 01-19-2009
Is this a varible type?

Wondering what $@ does - is it a variable of some kind?
# 2  
Old 01-19-2009
Yes it is variable and display you list of command line arguments passed.
create a script, with echo statement in it.
Quote:
echo $@;
and then run script.
Code:
sh test.sh 1 2 4

It should display arguments,
Quote:
1 2 4

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Aa_app varible in Linux

Hi, I am analyzing linux script, below is the following script line ${AA_APP:-/opt/ty/aa}/sbin/save_file_list ApplEnv.prererun ${AA_APP:-/opt/ty/aa}/sbin/ApplEnv.install_save_list I really dont understand what this line does, can someone explain me. AA_APP is variable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - how to pass varible

I want to pass variable to below awk statement awk '/abc123/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log I tried -v like below, but its not working. Please help!!! awk -v var1="abc123" '/var1/{x=NR+1}(NR<=x){print}' sftp_log_20150317.log Input file is: sftp_log_20150317.log ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vegasluxor
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Varible with AWK in KSH

I am trying to set a variable from this AWK command in KSH but I keep getting an error that says my variable cannot be found. LOADNO = $(awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt) If I just run awk -F"|" 'NR==1{print $2}' file.txt I get the right value but as soon as I try to assign this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cvigeant
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Varible nesting and user input

Well, I think I've managed to take two different issues and conglomerate them into and embarrasing mess. #!/bin/bash # Set some variables dir1=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/dir/ dir2=/path/that/isnt/variable/$variabledir/important/"$variabledir"-subdirectory/path/ echo "Gimme... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlp
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: varible-sized arrays?

How do you store strings in a variable-sized array? Background: I wrote a program earlier today to work with a very large text file. I chose Perl because it lets me do some nice formatting on the text I grab, instead of just using a shell script to con'cat'enate egrep results. The program... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space in varible?

Hey guys I have here what I am sure amounts to a pretty dumb question.... how do I assign a value of say 999 to a variable called "random number" (note the space between random and number). What would the script look like using borne shell? Thanks! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pattingtonjbear
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a varible into file in ksh

set filename $logDir/PyLog/$logname echo $filename >> logname.txt I am trying to write to write the varibale filename into a file logname.txt,it is not working could any one suggest y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathgopi214
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing PL/SQL variable value to Shell Varible

Hi my UNIX Friends, Im calling some SQL scripts through Unix Shell scripting. How do I export the value of PL/SQL variable value into a Unix shell script variable? Also could any one inform me about the 'search' and 'cut' utility of PL/SQL (like 'grep' and 'cut' in Shell scripting). ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using varible/varible substitution in Perl/sed Search & Replace

Hi, I have a program that searches for a particular string patten. I am however having difficulty passing the varible $i (in a loop) as the string pattern to replace. Using either perl or sed search and replace statements, I get the same kinda result. For example, using the perl: for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question