List file types

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting List file types
# 1  
Old 10-28-2013
List file types

Hello everyone - I have a task of listing files from a directory together with their type.
I tried using
ls -l | file -b

or different versions of that but that did not work.
I will need this to be in a C shell script that will list the file name, size and type from a directory.
I can do both of them separated but not in one line display.
So the final output should be:

filename filesize and filetype (i.e. asci, doc, etc)

Thank you!
# 2  
Old 10-28-2013
If you don't have the file utility, install it. Otherwise you're stuck trying to identify them yourself.
# 3  
Old 10-28-2013
No no.
I do have it and it works - I jus don't know how to pipe it with ls -p
To get it to work.

Does that make sense?
Thank you.
# 4  
Old 10-28-2013
Ah, I see.

You can use the xargs utility to feed arguments from lines into commands that take arguments. echo a b c | xargs cat is equivalent to cat a b c for example.

Code:
ls -b | grep -v "/$" | xargs file -b

If your filenames contain spaces, this may be insufficient, and solutions would be system-dependent. On GNU/Linux you could do
Code:
find . -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type f -print0 | xargs --null file -b

# 5  
Old 10-28-2013
Maybe I am not clear enough - my task is to list the files from the current directory in the following format:
FileName FileSize FileType

So I was able to do the first 2 columns by using the following C shell:

Code:
awk 'BEGIN {printf "%-15s %-15s %-15s\n","Filename","Filesize","DateModified"}'

foreach file (*)
if (-f $file) then
   set x = `ls -l $file`
   #PRINT CURRENT DIRECTORY
   #echo $x | awk '{ printf "%-15s %-15s %-3s %-3s %-6s\n", $9, $5, $6, $7, $8}'
   echo $x | awk '{ printf "%-15s %-15s %-3s %-3s %-6s\n", $9, $5, $6, $7, $8}'
endif
end

Now I need to find a way to add the file type to that using filecommand
I tried your code:
Code:

but that did not work.
# 6  
Old 10-28-2013
I tried and it works..( as in corona's post it suggest you run it on a linux and you have GNU utils...) If you want us to help your should give the output of the command or the error message you get!
I think it is more the -b option of file that is not supported on your system...
# 7  
Old 10-28-2013
Here is what i get when I try to run the following command:

Illegal variable name - I think is has to do with grep -v "/$"
I can run ls -b with no problem.
List file types-10-28-2013-12-56-58-pmjpg
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp -r except certain file types

the following excludes certain directories successfully cp -r probe/!(dir) /destination I want to exclude certain file types and tried unsuccessfully cp -r probe/!(*.avi) /destination (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmf
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

Copy certain file types recursively while maintaining file structure on destination?

Hi guys, I have just been bothered by a fairly small issue for some time now. I am trying to search (using find -name) for some .jpg files recursively. This is a Redhat environment with bash. I get this job done though I need to copy ALL of them and put them in a separate folder BUT I also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Types of File in a directory

Hello, I have several thousand files with different extensions in a directory. Is there a single command to get what the various extensions are with a single command. Thanks for your help! Best, Guss (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

list quantity of files by file types

I'm trying to create a simple file inventory for a series of huge directories containing e-records. What I'm after is a list of all directories and sub-directories with just the number of each type of file in that directory/sub-directory. For example output would look like: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorcas
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I grep in specific file types?

I have a directory with file types ending .log, .mml, .gll, .dll . How can I grep expressions only in say the .log files? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file that contains 2 types of delimeters

Now that I have a file that looks something like this; 20050926 Unknown 20050926 MUREXFO 20050926 MUREXFO 20050926 MUREXFO 20050926 Unknown 20050926 KADDUSS 20050926 KADDUSS 20050926 KADDUSS 20050926 MUREXFO Is there a way in vi that I can search the file and remove any line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: morgadoa
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a file that contains 2 types of delimeters

I am trying to write a script and failing miserably. I have a file that looks something like this; 20050924-155819;Backoffice;1037;0;DDT-TCP/IP;;0;Node 20050924-155902;Unknown;1036;0;DDT-TCP/IP;;0;Node 20050924-155922;FrontOffice;1040;5;DDT- The desired result is one file containing only... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: morgadoa
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Details on the ls command and file types

Hey y'all, I need some help with the nitty gritty of the ls command. -First off in the man pages in the -l mode the first character can be "door" can anyone tell me what a door is??? -also in the -l mode the first character can be "fifo"or"pipe" can anyone tell me what a this is??? -What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob358
4 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

associated file types

I have a file of type .for extension .In a guui based unix environment like solaris if I double click on that file a specific program designed by me has to run which takes this file as the parameter and exceutes the program. Can anyone help me? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhk_srd
8 Replies

10. Linux

File types help needed

Hi all, quick question... Im trying to configure Redhat 9 to dial out to my ISP AOL. I have found some software to do this but at present I can't get net access under Linux for the reason stated. I can however acces the net using my laptop running windows. The question is: I have downloaded... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brady9953
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question