help regarding file ownership

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help regarding file ownership
# 1  
Old 08-18-2005
Lightbulb help regarding file ownership

hi friends,i have a doubt,if there is a file for which i have only read access then is there any way to execute it,plz reply soon
# 2  
Old 08-18-2005
Depends on what is in the file. A ksh script? Use:
ksh < /read/only/file
# 3  
Old 08-20-2005
i could not get ur point,can u plz eloborate
# 4  
Old 08-20-2005
Sorry, I can't think of anything to add. Smilie
# 5  
Old 08-20-2005
Make a copy of it to your home:
cp read_only_file $HOME

Add execute permissions:
chmod u+x read_only_file

Run file:
./read_only_file

Now if the script/executable is writing to other files that you do not have write permission to, it will fail to work correctly.
# 6  
Old 09-07-2005
script file can be executed using <shell name> <file name>
for other cases isnt it a security violation ???
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to set multiple ownership permission on a file/directory?

Hi, Any ideas to set multiple ownership permission on a file/directory on Solaris? I need a folder to have multiple ownership on the 2 nodes servers. The 2 nodes servers require to mount a SMBFS with different user ID. Please assist. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Ownership Change

Hi, I have several directories under an upload directory where differnt users upload their files (with exxactly the same file name every week) using their own user ids. There is a requirement that once any user uploads the file I have to clean that file and remove extra whitespaces and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbhonde11
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Linux file ownership

Hi Friends, I am using RHEL5.3 64bit. I have a data filesystem on this, which have lot of files copied from another server. I cannot see correct owner and group displayed for these servers. It shows 113 for owner and 755 for group. Anybody please tell me why it is? Regards, Arumon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arumon
1 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Cygwin - file ownership changes unexpectedly from Administrator to cron_server

Hi Everyone, Not sure where to post but I am completely lost and need help urgently. Hope you guys can provide me the solution. I have Windows XP on my machine and was working fine with all the softwares. Today I installed "cygwin" on my machine and was playing with it. I am not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the need of ownership to a file/dir?

Hi, I understand the permissions of a file/directory. I just needs to understand how ownership works. Can some one help me on this please? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access file ownership related questions

I have two issues; any help regarding this would be highly appreciated. We deployed a file abc using pqr id. So the owner is of abc file (shell script) is ‘pqr'. However, abc file is executed by ESP event and uses the id ‘xyz'. When the file abc is executed the owner of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: clearC
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file ownership confusion

Hello all, I have a script that runs on both the test and production box. The script is owned by a user (abcd for example) with permission set to 700. When this script is run as a root, the log file generated has owner and group as abcdowner and abcdgroup respectively. Now, when I run the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File group ownership changing automatically

Hi everyone, Need help with an issue. The group ownership of files on my Solaris system is getting changed automatically. Could someone tell me the reason why? And how could I correct it? One more info- everytime the ownership changes, it changes to "x". Thanks :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: top_gun
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stubborn file ownership problem! Argh!

Hi, I have Apache running well on a Linux server, with Samba installed. I do must of my work in Notepad2 on a Windows box using Samba shares on which I am logged in as a user on the box (non-root). I recently decided to expand into cgi-perl. My /htdocs/cgi-bin directory is already part of a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: questor
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix ownership from directories and file

Hi, I have newly installed sun solaris on my pc since I would like to learn something more about unix. During the installation, I had to assign a password for the super user root.After the installation, the book I am following suggested me to create a new user which I did. My home directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giulianob
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question