getty

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers getty
# 1  
Old 12-30-2002
Lightbulb getty

Can anyone give me a relatively simple definition of what a "getty" is? Are there multiple getty processes or types of getty processes? or is there just one?

What does getty do in relation to a tty or pty?

Thanks to all who respond.

Last edited by google; 12-30-2002 at 03:58 PM..
# 2  
Old 12-30-2002
first look at the command:
man getty
on my system though man getty shows no results, if that isthe case for you then try :
man mgetty
man agetty
essentially they do the same thing, they provide the user with the login program, and ensure that upon user log-out that the login prompt is restarted. somewhere on the net i read a very good paper on just exactly what getty does. when you log in getty then supplies the user with his shell, and then the rest is done by the shell. getty is used on the local tty's, aswell as telnet (or ssh) sessions and if you have a serial terminal set up getty is used on that aswell. in your startup scripts you can add addition tty's to your system, this is done by adding lines for getty with the appropriate parameters, tty# etc. search google for "getty" youll probably find some pretty useful results.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO 5 and Getty

Our medical practice has inherited an SCO 5 box with a practice management program, medical manager, installed on the box that we need to access on our Windows network. Boots fine and I can login with root no problem. Problem is, I can't get it to do anything because of these getty error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgreener
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ps aux|grep getty

what is the aim of this command: ps aux|grep getty (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/sbin/getty

How can i restart the console getty without rebooting the system on HPUX 11.0 Normally it will be stated by ps -ef | grep getty console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console many thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman_denmark
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Getty-problems in FreeBSD

Hi all, I'm having a disturbing problem with getty i fbsd (fbsd 4.5 on a compaq laptop). One day, when the boot process was complete, my logs were spammed with messages from getty: May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device May 20 21:27:10 laptop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuba
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question