Getty-problems in FreeBSD

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Getty-problems in FreeBSD
# 1  
Old 05-20-2002
Getty-problems in FreeBSD

Hi all,
I'm having a disturbing problem with getty i fbsd (fbsd 4.5 on a compaq laptop). One day, when the boot process was complete, my logs were spammed with messages from getty:

May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2676]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2676]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2678]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2678]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2680]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2680]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2682]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2682]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2684]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop getty[2684]: login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device
May 20 21:27:10 laptop init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping 30 secs
May 20 21:27:10 laptop init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console, sleeping 30 secs

As you see, getty restarts itself, over and over again, which causes a very high load on the box (not to mention /var/log/messages being spammed). I have'nt touched any configuration files conserning getty, this problem just turned up one day (as mentioned above).

I would be very thankfull for any help. I don't wish to do a reinstall.

//Jakob Stasilowicz - kuba@kuba.hack.se
UNIXSweden - unixsweden.net
# 2  
Old 05-20-2002
The serial device is getting activated during the bootup; however , i do believe there is no any serial device
in the computer (modem Etc.). You need to disable the "getter" in order for the system not to probe again the particular serial device

Do you have 'getty' specified on the 'console' line in /etc/ttys? You shouldn't AFAIK, it should be just console none unknown off secure. The getty(s) that handle login on the console(s) are specified on the ttyvN lines:

ttyv0 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" cons25 on secure # Virtual terminals
ttyv1 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" cons25 on secure ttyv2 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" cons25 on secure ...
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO 5 and Getty

Our medical practice has inherited an SCO 5 box with a practice management program, medical manager, installed on the box that we need to access on our Windows network. Boots fine and I can login with root no problem. Problem is, I can't get it to do anything because of these getty error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgreener
0 Replies

2. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

3. BSD

FreeBSD Installation problems

Hi all, I'm new to the world of Unix/Linux (though not to computing in general) and I'm having a few issues installing FreeBSD (v6.2). Firstly, I realise that it's not the most user-friendly of distros, especially for newbies, but it's what I'm required to install so unfortunately I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Techmonkey
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ps aux|grep getty

what is the aim of this command: ps aux|grep getty (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

5. BSD

problems with the freebsd configuration...

I had just instal freebsd in my computer, wich is very nice,am very happy about it, am new to the unix os and i know unmost nothing and my problem is that i din't do i good configuration because i can get internet when i open the webbrowser, a have a yahoo dsl connection, i can't even play a cd in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobody
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FreeBSD problems with interfaces

alright, this problem is a bit weird. i rebuilt the kernel and included the parameters for the 2 AMD NIC's in the system. now, ifconfig shows them to be pcn0 and pcn1. i assigned them their ip addresses in rc.conf. now, for some reason, i cannot ping the interface from another system and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getty

Can anyone give me a relatively simple definition of what a "getty" is? Are there multiple getty processes or types of getty processes? or is there just one? What does getty do in relation to a tty or pty? Thanks to all who respond. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: google
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/sbin/getty

How can i restart the console getty without rebooting the system on HPUX 11.0 Normally it will be stated by ps -ef | grep getty console 0:00 /usr/sbin/getty console console many thanx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iceman_denmark
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problems with sound card on FreeBSD 4.5

Hi,friends!!! I have a problem with my integrated sound card AC97 on i815 and my version of FreeBSD is 4.5.I know that there is a driver for it called ich.c.gz,but the site containing it is unavaliable now.And is there another driver or some other ideas ? z-z-z-z-z :: email removed :: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kruch
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question