Accessing device with Prolific USB-serial controller.

Top Forums Programming Accessing device with Prolific USB-serial controller.
# 1  
Old 06-04-2007
Accessing device with Prolific USB-serial controller.

I am trying to access DG-100 gps logger on Mac OS X with POSIX API. The device uses a Prolific usb-serial controller, and connect to the usb port on my mac.

After I install the Prolific driver, it shows up as /dev/tty.usbserial and /dev/cu.usbserial. The vendor has published the data format. So I write() the "get configuration" command to /dev/cu.usbserial, and get response back with read(). However the device doesn't seem to answer any command after the first one. I have to restart it to make it working again.

I am not sure if this is a general serial communication problem or specific to the device. When i talk to such a device, do I need to acknowledge in some way so that it will accept the next command?

Thanks.
# 2  
Old 06-11-2007
Hi,

Maybe your device is blocking during sending output to first request.
I would try to use 'cat' to write and read in 2 different processes.
Run
cat > /dev/cu.usbserial
in one terminal and
cat /dev/cu.usbserial
in another.

Regards
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Getting error sco unix 507 from cdrom:no controller for device you chosen

Installing SCO UNIX 507 on Dell Poweredge T610. It has no floppy so I downloaded the BTLD onto CD from SCO site to load without floppy drive. BTLD loads ok. when i get to the Media to be used, no matter what option i chose i get the error: No controller for device you have chosen. During bootup you... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: romanglad112
9 Replies

2. Hardware

How to install a driver of my USB-A to Serial Cable

Hi Gurus of Unix Recently I install a OpenSolaris in My HP 530 In this moment want to install a USB-A to Serial Cable. Any guru can send a Link where I can use how reference. I want to configure a Router and my PC don't have any serial Port. My LapTOP only has USB ports. In this case I buy a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
2 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Ubuntu 9.04 Serial application to telnet to serial device

Hello! I am working on an application which reads environmental instruments which have serial ports. The application requires a serial port to be present to talk to the device (i.e. /dev/ttyS0 ). In some instances the environmental devices will be 100's of yards away from the computer, so a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvona
5 Replies

4. Solaris

USB to Serial Adapter connection

Hi Community, I'm working on Sun Server V490 with my PC (with OS Vista). I'm using a USB to Serial Adapter to connect to Server directly. I've this problem, I'm connecting to Server with Putty client with this settings: boud rate 9600, 8 bit, 0 parity, 0 flow control, but after to have typed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
4 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Accessing printer through serial port

Hey, im new to processing so any help you could give me would be much appreciated. I am trying to get control of the rollers on my 9 pin dot matrix printer (epson LX 300+). Initially I was going to do this through arduino but hope to do it through processing using the serialwrite programme. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hougeman
0 Replies

6. Linux

Device serial number

Hey! I'm trying to figure out a sollution for a problem I have at my company with an Iomega MiniMax 500 GB USB disk. If i run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get this information: T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=04 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB serial help needed

Hi iam new bie to unix. we are getting the sensor positional values on hyperterminal(UART).but our task is to use this data for mouse movement.so wat we hav to do ?? is this required to change usb driver cud u send info regarding my query?? Thanks in advance :) :) :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayakar
1 Replies

8. SCO

Usb To Serial (sco6)

According to sco6 usb supplement, once you install it, you can install a bafo industries (BF-810) in the computer. I have done all that and followed the intructions completely and it shows up using usbprobe and l /dev/usb_ser* Problem is that when I go to mkdev serial, it is not there. Anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jn5519
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on external USB drive using UNIX?

Hi Folks, I'm a serious UNIX newbie... I'm using a bash shell on Mac OS X. Basically I took up unix in order to use a specific image processing software package... I've learned enough to write a script to batch process all of my images, but I have so many that I would like to use an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

10. Linux

modem - usb to serial configuration

I have a serial modem connected to a usb port using an adapter cable. The system is a HP DL360. RedHat ES3.0 I am using the device /dev/ttyUSB0 When I issue the command "mgetty ttyUSB0" I get the following output in the log file. How do I get the system to see the modem. 12/02 14:17:55... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jshoovie
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question