Usb Device

Operating Systems Solaris Usb Device
# 1  
Old 05-12-2008
Usb Device

AM TRYING TO CONNECT A USB EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR BACKUP,THE USB SLOT IS AVAILABLE,BUT I DONT KNOW IF IT IS READY WHEN I CONNECT IT,AND WHAT COMMANDS DO I NEED.
tHANKS
# 2  
Old 05-12-2008
please read the rules! #1
# 3  
Old 05-12-2008
i dont get it
# 4  
Old 05-12-2008
https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...om-forums.html

Quote:
(1) No flames, shouting (all caps), sarcasm, bullying, profanity or arrogant posts.
Back to the subject, what Solaris release are you using ? (cat /etc/release)
# 5  
Old 05-12-2008
its solaris 10.and also i need the commands to copy backed up files from a directory to tape.
# 6  
Old 05-12-2008
after connecting the usb device check (or maybe post) the output of "dmesg" and "rmformat". for backup to tape check the commands "tar" and "ufsdump".
# 7  
Old 05-12-2008
thanks for the info
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar on usb device

Hi, i am developing an application on an ARM 7 architatcure with a small Linux. i want to run tar on a usb device (~10 Mb) but it runs realy slow. the command only takes 1% of cpu usage. is there a way to improve the tar command or is the USB-Connection the bottleneck here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB device not recognised after re-connect

Hi all unixware 7.1.3 I'm afraid ! I connected a usb tape drive and it was automatically recognised in the device list (sdiconfig -l) and created devices in /dev/rmt (ctape1 etc.). I could successfully read and write to the device. Then unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

USB Device Identification

In linux system when a pnp usb device is plugged in then how does the system gets a notification of it? I mean to say in linux usb system there is usb host controller above which is host controller driver above which is usb core. So does the host controller/usb core keeps on polling the usb bus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

4. Debian

Write permission for USB device

Hello, I need to run an application in wine that requires write permission to a USB device. Wine users must not have root privileges. On FreeBSD this could be accomplished by adding the user to the wheel group but I am using Debian 6.0. From looking at the passwd file it is not obvious what... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to Block the USB device

Hi friends, I wanna know how to block USB devices in my RedHat flavor Operating system. regards, Prakash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashkumar41
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

safe removal of usb device

hi, I was wondering if there's a way to safely disconnect a usb device from computer, I ask this because in windows when you disconnect a usb pen with the safe removal, the pen light then turns off, while I tried removing the pen with solaris and the light was still on ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeware
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mounting a USB device with a persistent name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Mounting a USB device with a predetermined name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

9. Linux

mounting usb device

Hi Folks, I want to know how to mount usb device (cd,dvd etc) in linux, Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving scripts to usb device

How do I save a script to a pen drive? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner1
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question