OS Type and Version

Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators OS Type and Version
# 1  
Old 11-22-2002
OS Type and Version

I have seen quite a few posts recently which have launched into questions about specfic errors whose resolution depends a lot upon the OS type and version.

I suggest that in the FAQ an additional entry be included, either under general board usage or posting threads, that informs the user to place something like the text below at the top of their posts:

OS Type: HP-UX 64 Bit (or whatever type)
Version: 11.11

This could help reduce the amount of responses that ask "What OS are you running, what version etc etc". It might also stop entire sections of a thread from being completely off-track by assuming things about the OS.

It would be even better if there was an additional field, under the "Subject" field, such as "OS Type and Version" which a person could fill out when they start a new thread and this would be displayed in their post. I suspect it is a lot harder to implement than it is to suggest - but just a thought!
# 2  
Old 11-22-2002
possibly require OS and uname -a output

Neo,

This is a good idea that, of course would require more work for you.

Maybe a dropdown for OS, there may be too many. How about a blank field that is required before posting. Just like you have for the Subject title on new messages.
Also maybe for uname -a output and possibly for User level of expertise as a background.

OS Type: ________________
Output of uname -a: ______________
User LVL of expertise: noob, beginner, basic, regular, advanced, expert, adept, master

Smilie
# 3  
Old 11-22-2002
We have some rules that everyone is supposed to read. They already include
Quote:
Additional helpful suggestion to all posters (for better, faster replies to questions):

(A) Include as many pertinent details as possible in your post. Useful information usually includes: Vendor and version of hardware or software you are using, hardware platform, kernel version (if applicable).

(B) For hardware related questions include model name/number of any affected components. For software issues, indicate which commands you are issuing and any error messages if applicable. Accuracy is important -- copy and paste if possible.
# 4  
Old 11-22-2002
Folks are encourage to do this in the rules .....

https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?=2971

but I agree that most users think the forums can 'read their mind'.... Smilie

something needs to be done and your suggestions are good ones; however, I agree that we don't want a solution that requires a lot of work or hacks to the system.

You can search www.vbulletin.org and see if there are any hacks for vB that might help if you have time.

I think Perderabo and I posted at the same time ... Smilie
# 5  
Old 11-22-2002
and OBTW, hacking vB takes a lot of time and the hacks must be reinstalled when upgrades are done.... that is why we encourage posters to read and follow the rules, which is not too much to ask for a free service.... IYAM
# 6  
Old 11-25-2002
Yea I knew that it might be a lot of work and that there are rules that should be read. Of course we know what happens with that! Smilie

I just thought I would offer the suggestion. Smilie
# 7  
Old 11-25-2002
Good suggestion... so much to do and so little time Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

OS version and Firmware version

Guys, How to find OS version and firmware version in LINUX? Like in AIX. uname -a will show me the version 5.3, 6.1,7.1. lsmcode -c will show me - system firmware image as SF240_417. What are the similar commands in Linux. I checked uname -a and cat /etc/release. uname... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ElizabethPJ
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version

How to copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version automatically. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
4 Replies

3. Programming

Changing type name

In C++, how can I change the type with another name For example How can I declaring an object real which would be the same as declaring it float (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Advanced Search * View * Edit JAVA version to WORK in GLASSFISH Forum topic JAVA version

Would like to confirm the ff. I got confused actually with the version I needed to download that will work on glassfish 3.0.1 a. Debian Squeeze (HP DL360). Need to use java version6 On Debian, I did apt-get install sun-java6-jdk. So when I check it's java version "1.6.0_22" Java(TM) SE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix version/type

Hi, How can I find out what unix I am using? Thanks C19 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Migrate unix version 8 to version 9

i have a program writing in PRO C which currently running in unix version 8 tie with oracle 8i, but in the future company gonna migrate this OS to version 9. Anything i have to prepare for my PRO C program to run in unix version 9? or anything would that impact my program couldn't run well? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
2 Replies

7. Solaris

raid type

how to get the raid type of a mount if I am using solaris disksuite? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

8. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String type to date type

Can one string type variable changed into the date type variable. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinku
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question