help on umask

Operating Systems Linux help on umask
# 1  
Old 04-11-2008
CPU & Memory help on umask

hai guys ,
i am having problem in getting the knowledge about umask.
actually when i am putting command as umask some value is coming like 0022 by defalut.
we can change its value also.
but the main thing is thye file permisiion actually depends upon umask.how is it depends upon umask i want to know.
if i will change the value of umask file permisiion value is also getting changed.
so plz help me out on this issue of umask. and how the calculation is really going on.
replay ASAP
# 2  
Old 04-11-2008
Did you try to, like, look for documentation?

umask - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When a file is created, the program which creates it requests a permission mask. This mask gets ANDed with the compliment of the umask, and the file is created with the resulting permissions.
# 3  
Old 04-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
Did you try to, like, look for documentation?

umask - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When a file is created, the program which creates it requests a permission mask. This mask gets ANDed with the compliment of the umask, and the file is created with the resulting permissions.
ya i have gone through that one.
but the main thing is is there any specification is that we have to keep the umask value as 022 or anything else.
so here by changing the value of umask we can chnage the file permisiion also.so no need to use chmod command.if we will get the shortcut solution about the calculation of umask we can come to know how is it really possible.
so just help me out to know better details regartding this umask.
and if we want to change the permisiion of all the files we can do it by using one command of umask or not.
so plz help me out quickly
# 4  
Old 04-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by suvendu4urs
ya i have gone through that one.
but the main thing is is there any specification is that we have to keep the umask value as 022 or anything else.
so here by changing the value of umask we can chnage the file permisiion also.so no need to use chmod command.if we will get the shortcut solution about the calculation of umask we can come to know how is it really possible.
so just help me out to know better details regartding this umask.
and if we want to change the permisiion of all the files we can do it by using one command of umask or not.
so plz help me out quickly
and onthing more i want to know that why file permisiiion is depending upon the umask.what is the use of this umask
without this we can do or not
# 5  
Old 04-11-2008
If you were not allowed to change it under any circumstances, it ought to be impossible. But you can. However, you should be aware of the security implications. If you set it too loose, people will be creating private files in their home directories which are readable by anyone -- if that's acceptable then go ahead. (Setting it tighter than the default is usually not a problem.)

Sounds like you might be barking up the wrong tree, though. Could you describe what problem you are trying to solve? If you want files in a shared directory to be created with specific permissions, maybe your platform would offer a facility for this by other means (for example, by using the setgid bit on the directory, on some platforms).
# 6  
Old 04-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by era
If you were not allowed to change it under any circumstances, it ought to be impossible. But you can. However, you should be aware of the security implications. If you set it too loose, people will be creating private files in their home directories which are readable by anyone -- if that's acceptable then go ahead. (Setting it tighter than the default is usually not a problem.)

Sounds like you might be barking up the wrong tree, though. Could you describe what problem you are trying to solve? If you want files in a shared directory to be created with specific permissions, maybe your platform would offer a facility for this by other means (for example, by using the setgid bit on the directory, on some platforms).

i want to change the file permisiion without using any command.mean i want to change it using umask only.so i want to know without doing any calculation shall we come to know that what is the vlaue of file permission like is it 0666 or anyother.but without doing any calculation.we can do like this or not?
thats what i want to know
thank u
# 7  
Old 04-11-2008
You cannot change the permissions on already created files by changing the umask. It affects the permissions when the file is created, but after that, you need to use chmod to change permissions.

If you know your umask and the file mode passed in when a file is being created, you can figure out what permissions the file is going to have, but there is a simple boolean calculation involved, and if you don't want to perform that, you cannot magically know the answer.

If your umask is 000 then the file will have whatever permission the creating application requested (typically 666 or 644). If your umask is 077 then the file will have the "group" and "other" permission bits forced to zero, and your own permission set to whatever the application requested (typically 600). The number of possible combinations is quite small (and only a fraction of them are ever seen in practice) and the calculation is not at all hard to do in your head.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umask help!

Hi guys, I want all new files and directories created, or copy file give this permisson "rwxrwx---", with chmod i do this with octal value "770". If i execute "umask 770" the permissons is not the same with new or copy file. How can i configure this command? I do not understand the "man... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xedrox
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help for umask

Hi, I want to set umask value only for vi editor. If I create new file using vi editor, then automatic permission should be 777. I want to set umask 000. Please help me. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
2 Replies

3. AIX

UMASK

How do I change the umask for a NIS user? Thanks steve (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steve.lavoie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

umask

Hi, Please, let me know how the umask is working? As per my understanding is aprt from subtracting from 666/777, logical gate operation is performing. Ex: If I set uname 011, it gave the permission like 666 for file. Request you to explain which gate's operation performed. $uname 011... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Umask

I need to set a umask of 022 for my ssh sessions, or within my profile. I have set the umask in both bash_profile and bashrc. and when i run umask i get 0022 but when i create a file i get, # touch test.txt # ls -l test.txt -rw------- 1 root root 0 Apr 26 12:25 test.txt it seems like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: felix001
1 Replies

6. Solaris

umask

Due to urgent requirement to resolve some permission issues , I wish to set solaris 8 server so that any file written is on 777 . I guess need to set umask , how to set it ?? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: falcon16
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

Hi, I have a doubt on the umask values. Why is the UMASK value is different from file and directory? Suppose if the umask value is 0022. The file permissions for a newly created file is 644 and the file permissions for a newly created directory is 755. My doubt is why can't it be the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_b744
1 Replies

8. AIX

Umask help

I changed the umask in /etc/security/user to 027. I changed the umask in /etc/profile to 027. My current shell is ksh. My .profile doesn't make any changes to umask or call other scripts that change umask. Running AIX 5.3 I still get a umask of 022 instead of the expected 027. I have no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

the umask on solaris must return 022 or 0022 wich one is correct and why? thanks, pa (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsh
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask

in this unix book that i have, it says: the statement: filedes = open(pathname, O_CREAT, mode); is actually filedes = open(pathname, O_CREAT, (~mask)&mode); /* ~ is the negation symbol */ like it's doing some type of masking. for example, fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bb00y
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question