Data file execution confusion

i have a file in a directory
ls -l gives -rwxr-xr--
so i typed the file name to execute it and i got no such file
but when i type . ./filename i can execute it

what does this . ./ do ?Smilie
# 2  
Old 02-08-2012
. ./filename executes filename in the same shell without forking a sub-shell for filename.

If you typed just filename with an intention to execute it, it wouldn't have run. Try either of these:
1. ./filename
2. sh filename
or
3. The one which you already tried . ./filename. But this is discouraged because filename would end up using parameters defined in the current shell too.
# 3  
Old 02-08-2012
i tried sh ./ file name and sh filename i got no error but it didnt run , ./dsenv gives no privilege to execute ...ls gives this -rwxr-xr--

Last edited by mithun1!; 02-08-2012 at 07:34 AM..
# 4  
Old 02-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun1!
i have a file in a directory
ls -l gives -rwxr-xr--
so i typed the file name to execute it and i got no such file
but when i type . ./filename i can execute it

what does this . ./ do ?Smilie
To answer the question:
The first . is equivalent to the source command and balajesuri described what it does.
The ./ tells the shell to look for filename in your current directory.
All unix/linux-shells I know are a bit picky about blanks. Try ./filename without a space between the slash and the filename. EDIT: I saw you edited your last post and fixed that already...
# 5  
Old 02-08-2012
sh ./filename does not throw an error but it does not run, same for sh filename , ./filename says i dont have privilege . only thing that works is . ./filename . i am not able to understand . can you explain the behavious of all this scenarios and . ./filenmae --> what is source command , can you please elaborate
# 6  
Old 02-08-2012
Please post the contents of the script and a brief explanation of what you expect the script to do.

Where "filename" is the name of the script:
Code:
# Contents of the script
cat filename
# Permissions of parent directory
ls -lad .
# Permissions of script
ls -lad filename
# Your account permissions
id
# Your normal login Shell
echo $SHELL
# Your program (and scripts) search path
echo $PATH

# 7  
Old 02-08-2012
Code:
# Contents of the script
#this file sets environmental variables
if [ -z "$APT_ORCHHOME" ]
then
APT_ORCHHOME=/opt/IBM/dev/APP/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine; export APT_ORCHHOME
fi

Code:
# Permissions of parent directory
drwxrwxr-x 39 dsadm dstage 17408 2012-01-26 17:06 .

Code:
# Permissions of script
-rwxr-xr-- 1 dsadm dstage 8841 2011-09-19 11:49 dsenv

Code:
# Your account permissions
uid=1000401(anumit01) gid=1000000(u-users) groups=10002(etldev),1000000(u-users),1000143(etltestdeploy),1000151(etldeploy)

Code:
# Your normal login Shell
/usr/bin/ksh

Code:
# Your program (and scripts) search path   (With extra line breaks to make it fit the page!)
/opt/IBM/dev/APP/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/grid_enabled.4.2.5:
/opt/IBM/dev/APP/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/bin:
/opt/IBM/dev/APP/InformationServer/ASBNode/apps/jre/bin:
/opt/teradata/client/13.0/tbuild/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:
/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin:/opt/quest/bin:
/opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/bin:/db2/db2clt9/sqllib/bin::/opt/ibm/db2/V9.5/lib:/db2/db2clt9/sqllib/adm:
/opt/oracle/product/10.2.0/bin:/opt/teradata/client/13.0/bin:
/opt/ibmll/LoadL/full/bin/:/opt/IBM/dev/APP/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine/bin:/opt/mqm/bin

Last edited by methyl; 02-08-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: insert subheadings and lay it out in a readable manner

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution of loop :Splitting a single file into multiple .dat file

hdr=$(cut -c1 $path$file|head -1)#extract header”H” trl=$(cut -c|path$file|tail -1)#extract trailer “T” SplitFile=$(cut -c 50-250 $path 1$newfile |sed'$/ *$//' head -1')# to trim white space and extract table name If; then # start loop if it is a header While read I #read file Do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SwagatikaP1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File System and Storage Array Confusion

Hi Friends, I have a host(Suse Linux 10.4) which has 2 luns presented from 2 different arrays HP eva and xp. we are planning to migrate hp eva to 3par. When i look for physical volume i see /dev/dm-4, /dev/dm-5, /dev/dm-7and when i look for multipath -ll i see dm-8,dm-9,dm-7. So i can't confirm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: munna529
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check file exist before execution

Hi , I have a scripts which run at every 1 min and do some job. this scripts look for the file in the directory and move in the other directory. I want to write a line which forst check if the *.LOG file exist in the directory if *.LOG exist then do for i in *.LOG load ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote file execution

Hello, I'm new to scripting so, sorry if this is a dumb question. What's the best way to execute a .sh file remotely? I want to log into server "b" from server "a" & run a script. "./scriptname.sh". At this point, all I'm looking to do is a simple ls -la > output.txt within the script to capture... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunch10c
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Issue Serial Forground Execution vs Concurrent Background Execution

I have an expect script that interrogates several hundred unix servers for both access and directories therein using "ssh user@host ls -l /path". The combination of host/path are unique but the host may be interrogated multiple times if there are multiple paths to test. The expect script is run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File execution problem

hi all currently we are building lot of new servers(50+).What im looking for is a small piece of code that should help me in running a script that will configure company specific software in all the new boxes.For that currently we have to login to each and every new box manuallly and run that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file ownership confusion

Hello all, I have a script that runs on both the test and production box. The script is owned by a user (abcd for example) with permission set to 700. When this script is run as a root, the log file generated has owner and group as abcdowner and abcdgroup respectively. Now, when I run the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaix14
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution bit for a file

Hi Given read and write permission ( for group others etc) on any ordinary text file one can edit and view the file . In this case what role does an execution field play. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss250041
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confusion (file pointer and file descripter)

Hi everybody, i am newbie to unix and confused with file pointers and file descripters. could anyone help me to clear my doubts .. when we call unix system calls to create a file then we are dealing wih file descripters i think file descripters are also normals file as stored inhard disks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnray31
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File system Confusion

Hello All, I administer my department server and now Im assigned the job of installing a new server. The old server has no home directory but the user accounts are managed using a script and they are partitioned in /fs/grad, /fs/ugrad, /fs/fac, /fs/alumni. But when I finger for a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maybemedic
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question