Solaris 11 - how to backup and restore system disc

Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 - how to backup and restore system disc
# 1  
Old 09-30-2011
Solaris 11 - how to backup and restore system disc

I have installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine and now I am wondering what is the best way to backup (to another hard disc) and restore the system hard disc content.

The backup should to be done every night using a script launched by cron and all previously done backups should be available to be restored (not just one backup which would be overwritten the next night). The restore procedure should be as simple and fast as possible.

Relying on zfs snapshots in the process of backuping is appreciated.

Thank you for all suggestions.
Dusan
# 2  
Old 09-30-2011
You have answered on your own question with another question?
ZFS snapshots are good for file system backups as they easier than other ways.
But if you want to backup the whole system Flash Archive flar is also good.

Anyways if you want to know the howto to backup your ZFS file systems just post your system disk layout to aid forum members to give you an accurate answer.
# 3  
Old 09-30-2011
Thank you for your answer.

I have in fact experimented with this for a while already and created a shell script for automatic backuping of snapshots. I was however not able to restore the backups correctly - more specifically, I did not succeed in making the computer boot from the restored disc.

I did even create a topic about that on this forum earlier. I described the steps I took to restore the snapshots and what the results were.

I have experimented yet a little more since then but still did not succeed and I have no idea what to try anymore.

Besides the steps that I described in the other topic I did also try to install the system to a new disc in a standard way and restore just the important filesystems (the system root and the user directories) but that did not work either.

That's why I thought the way I've chosen might be completely wrong and that I should create a more general question in order to find out the ways other people do that.

On my system hard disc I have the following filesystems:
  • rpool
  • rpool/ROOT
  • rpool/ROOT/solaris (this is the system root directory)
  • rpool/export (this is the root of user home directories)
# 4  
Old 10-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@foorsa.biz
But if you want to backup the whole system Flash Archive flar is also good.
Flash archives aren't provided/supported under Solaris 11 express and weren't intended to be a backup tool in Solaris 10 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RychnD
I have installed Solaris 11 Express on my machine and now I am wondering what is the best way to backup (to another hard disc) and restore the system hard disc content.
The most detailed procedure is probably the one available here: ZFS Troubleshooting Guide - Siwiki
# 5  
Old 10-02-2011
Thank you jlliagre.

I tried multiple times restoring according to the ZFS Troubleshooting Guide - Siwiki (and experimented with it as well), but there must be something I'm missing, because I have never been able to successfully boot from the recovered disc.

Dusan
# 6  
Old 10-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
Flash archives aren't provided/supported under Solaris 11 express and weren't intended to be a backup tool in Solaris 10 anyway.
What do you mean by Flash Archives weren't intended to be a backup tool in Solaris 10 anyway?
# 7  
Old 10-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by h@foorsa.biz
What do you mean by Flash Archives weren't intended to be a backup tool in Solaris 10 anyway?
Flash archive was designed to be a cloning tool, i.e. a way to install multiple machines from a master system.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E...-24/index.html
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Cloning a system via mksysb backup from one system and restore to new system

Hello All, I am trying to clone an entire AIX virtual machine to a new virtual machine including all partitions and OS.Can anyone help me on the procedure to follow? I am not really sure on how it can be done.Thanks in advance. Please use CODE tags for sample input, sample output, and for code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull05
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of disc group to kick off Oracle RMAN backup

Hi guys, i need a small help. I was writing an automation script for import utility of oracle datapump. I am getting stuck in one part of the shell script where i am doing a grep on one of the filesystem and if it is above threshold then it would kick off an oracle RMAN backup. Fyi. i am grepping... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sub
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Making HDD backup in sun Solaris system

Hello to all, I have Fujitsu Celzius M470 workstation which has Sun solaris system installed and want to make a complete backup of the hard drive. The existing HDD is SATA II, 500 GB. I don't have much experience working with SUN solaris systems (not at all) but have some experience with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mick
5 Replies

4. Solaris

how to restore backup from veritas vm in ufs file system

Hi all I have a DLT tape in that tape backup is there is in veritas volume format and i want to restore it in ufs file system how can i do it? right now i don't have veritas file system setup. i have only ufs file sysytem please help some production data is to be restore. backup was taken... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

6. Solaris

OpenSource / Free backup and restore solution for Solaris 10

Is there any free /opensource backup&restore solution available for solaris10 i want to backup Solaris10 machine with oracle 9 version. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif_islam
0 Replies

7. Solaris

File system and disc mount

Hello All Well i m using sun fire and I want to view file system on each disc mount then what will be the commands?...like i want to get each disc like c0t0d0s0 and others and i want to see directories and files distributed on each discs.... with heartiest greetings nilanjan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris System State & filesystems backup

Hi , We are using Veritas Net Backup , I want to create a new policy for backing up the (Solaris Operating System & the file systems) only the OS. not Full backup because we have an other policy for Oracle Apps and it takes full backup for all Partitions. I need the OS backup to be in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question