Public file sharing on redhat

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Public file sharing on redhat
# 1  
Old 05-20-2011
Public file sharing on redhat

Hello,

I want to share my folder on redhat like 192.168.x.x\share
But I can't use 3rd party packets/application or something like that.
And I want to see shared folder on windows2003 server command with \\192.168.x.x\share.

Basicly I need to know what should I do step by step.
# 2  
Old 05-20-2011
Install and configure Samba. Description here.
# 3  
Old 05-20-2011
I don't want to use samba or something like this packets.

Can I share manually to editing local files?

for example
HTML Code:
/etc/fstab
# 4  
Old 05-20-2011
Short answer: no
Long answer: No, because
  1. /etc/fstab is only for locally mounted filesystems, not for filesystems made available to other computers
  2. the Linux kernel by itself does not support making filesystems available other than by NFS

However, what definition for "3rd party software" do you have? Samba is part of the default RHEL repositories, same as vi(m), OpenSSH, Perl, ...
# 5  
Old 06-01-2011
I want to install samba but I don't know which packets are I need.
Redhat is already installed some samba files but below packets aren't related to samba service. How can I find neccessary samba rpm packets and reason I need how many files?
Most important thing is when I search samba rpm files, I don't know what I got to do.

I am waitting your kindly recommendation. Smilie

HTML Code:
# rpm -qa | grep samba
samba-common-3.0.33-3.28.el5
samba-client-3.0.33-3.28.el5
# 6  
Old 06-01-2011
The package you're looking for is probably called "samba-server". Check the repository with yum for it.
# 7  
Old 06-01-2011
Also, they are called "Packages" not packets. A packet has a different meaning
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wget for downloading a public file (stream) as mp4

I need a hint for using wget for getting a free content from a TV station that is streaming its material for a while until it appears on any video platform, that means no use of illegal methods, because it is on air, recently published and available. But reading the manual for wget I tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

mount windows file sharing on hp-ux

Hi all, Can anyone teach me how to mount windows file sharing on hp-ux thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantas manik
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file sharing

Hello all, Just curious. I have several unix echo commands(echo Y > file.txt) running in parallel(each directs a value of 'Y' to the same file). What happens if 2 echo's collide(trying to the write to the same file at the same time)? Not sure how unix deals with this. Thanks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robert4732
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

secure file transfer with public key

Hi, I was provided with Server IP Username and Password (worked when tested basic FTP) Public key (GnuPG v1.0.6) They refuse when I send it using basic FTP and insists for encryption. I have Solaris 10 and Linux in my environment. How can I encrypt and send them securely?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File sharing

I'm not sur how Im a new user (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1982
6 Replies

6. IP Networking

sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on three of my servers (PIII - 233MHz) and want that they share a common IP address so that any request made reaches each of the servers. Can anyone suggest how should I setup my LAN. I'm new to networking in Linux so please elaborate and would be thankful for a timely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

file sharing

i want to share some file to some user of my group(there are many users in a perticular group). So how should i do that?And i m not a super user. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file sharing

my computer and the rest of my network run Mac OS X , and i was wondering how or if your can transfer files from other computers with the Terminal. i also wanna know where i can download a free UNIX version and more on the sudo command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pyrohotdog
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question