size of a char devices

Top Forums Programming size of a char devices
# 1  
Old 01-27-2005
size of a char devices

hi
i want to write a simple io-benchmark for raw devices, especially for
harddisks, vx-volumes and md-volumes on solaris.
is there a unix system call to get the size of the device? the 'stat' system call
reports the size for regaular files but not for block or devices. On Solaris the Unix-command to get this information is devinfo -p [device] (or
prtvtoc [device].
if I 'truss' the devinfo command i can see that the program gets the information calling
open("/dev/vx/rdsk/perfdg/perfvol01", O_RDONLY) = 3
ioctl(3, 0x0401, 0xFFBEFB64) = 0
ioctl(3, 0x040B, 0xFFBEF9B8) = 0
ioctl(3, 0x0403, 0xFFBEF824) = 0
stat("/dev/vx/rdsk/perfdg/perfvol01", 0xFFBEF930) = 0
close(3) = 0

but i dont know nothing about ioctl-parameters. has someone a hint?
guenter
# 2  
Old 01-27-2005
# 3  
Old 01-28-2005
thanks, but this is the manual page for ioctl(29 that I knew already.
in the meantime I found the answer: the intergace is documented in
/usr/include/sys/dkio.h. the ioctl-calls are
#define DKIOCGGEOM (DKIOC|1) /* Get geometry */
#define DKIOCINFO (DKIOC|3) /* Get info */
#define DKIOCGVTOC (DKIOC|11) /* Get VTOC */
guenter
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Invalid conversion from char* to char

Pointers are seeming to get the best of me and I get that error in my program. Here is the code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define REPORTHEADING1 " Employee Pay Hours Gross Tax Net\n" #define REPORTHEADING2 " Name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plum
1 Replies

2. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

3. Programming

concat const char * with char *

hello everybody! i have aproblem! i dont know how to concatenate const char* with char const char *buffer; char *b; sprintf(b,"result.txt"); strcat(buffer,b); thanx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
4 Replies

4. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace any char with newline char.

Hi, How to replace any character in a file with a newline character using sed .. Ex: To replace ',' with newline Input: abcd,efgh,ijkl,mnop Output: abcd efgh ijkl mnop Thnx in advance. Regards, Sasidhar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightysam
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

7. Programming

CHAR Array - stuffed with values - with more size than it holds

Hi All I am simulating a problem in the production where i faced a situation. Please find the following example program which i simulated. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<string.h> int main() { char str1; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

8. Programming

size of char array in c

i have to store a data more than 100000. i don't know the size of the data whether it may be 100000 or 1000000. so how can i define variable size; example char abc; but i don't know the size so how can i give array size?? in one sentence how can i give the array size dynamically so that i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
6 Replies

9. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding EOL char is there or not in a big size file

Hi, I am using ksh. I have to find wether data file has EOL or not. as per my knowledge we can easily find by checking each character. But this is a tedious job as per my requirement because my data file size is very big . It may be in 25-30 MB. So please advice me how i can check wether... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HariRaju
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question