Slow Processing - not matching hardware capabilities

Operating Systems SCO Slow Processing - not matching hardware capabilities
# 1  
Old 03-24-2009
Slow Processing - not matching hardware capabilities

I have been a SCO UNIX user, never an administrator...so I am stumbling around looking for information.

I don't know too much about what is onboard in terms of hardware, however; I will try my best.

We have SCO 5.07 and have applied MP5.

We have a quad core processor with 4 250 GB harddrives.

Yesterday, we had discovered that we were not using SMB (SCO Multi-Processing), so I had applied that.

I am finding though that when someone is running something, it is terribly slow.

I know that I will have to provide more information, but I just don't know where to start.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a bunch of frustrated users.

Thanks
# 2  
Old 03-24-2009
If you have sar enabled then sar(1) can give you useful historical performance data, if I/O appears to be the problem then iostat(1) will give you a picture of I/O performance now. vmstat(1) will give you system performance information now, I like top(1) that shows a process list with the largest resource consumers at the top and mpstat(1) which is multi-processor aware and shows the amount of CPU being wasted by I/O waiting (i.e. memory and disk access).

Take a look at: http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/FAQ_slow.html , UNIX Performance Management and Unix / Linux / BSD Cheat Sheets II for starters.

Which of these commands are available in SCO Unix I am not aware so you will have to give them a go to find out!

P.S. Tis looks interesting: http://williambader.com/museum/dell/scotuning.html

Last edited by TonyFullerMalv; 03-24-2009 at 06:31 PM..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CentOS7 restoring file capabilities

Quite an obscure question I think. We have a rebuild process for remote sites that allows us to PXE rebuild a till (actually a PC with a touch screen and various fancy bits) running CentOS. The current CentOS5 tills work just fine with a tar image restore and some personalisation. Sadly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing too slow with loop

I have 2 files file 1 : contains ALINE ALINE BANG B ON A B.B.V.A. BANG AMER CORG BANG ON MORENA BANG ON MORENAIC BANG ON MORENAICA BANG ON MORENAICA CORP BANG ON MORENAICA N.A file 2 contains and is seprated by ^ delimiter : NATIO MARKET^345432534 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux capabilities discussion

Hi I'm trying to compile my linux kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y. any idea what this thing does ?? Also another question , If I compile the kernel that I'm currently using , what'll happen ? ~cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Use of Capabilities

I wonder if anyone could assist with some problems I'm having with Linux Capabilities and their use when using the commands "nice" and "schedtool". I run a couple of PCs, one is an elderly AMD Sempron 2800+ (32-bit, 2GHz clock and 3GB memory) that is used as a family multimedia system running... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with File Slow Processing

Hello, Hope you are doing fine. Let me describe the problem, I have a script that calls another script K2Test.sh, this script K2Test.sh (created by another team) takes date as argument and generates approx 1365 files in localcurves directory for given date. Out of these 1365 I am only... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srattani
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File processing is very slow with cut command

Dear All, I am using the following script to find and replace the date format in a file. The field18 in the file has the following format: "01/26/2010 11:55:14 GMT+04:00" which I want to convert into the following format "20100126115514" for this purpose I am using the following lines of codes:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Adding capabilities to an RPM

Hi. I downloaded a package that could only be installed on RHEL5, and not 4 or 3, so I got the source in order to compile it on RHEL 3 so hopefully it will work on all versions. So I have the source for a working package, but when I build it in RHEL 3 and then try to install it in RHEL 5, it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boaz
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

p570 Capabilities

Hi there. I've been tasked with making a new design for our Unix systems :eek: Now the question I have is; How many LPARs can a p570 hold WITHOUT using a VIO Server. Many Thanks Kees (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KeesH
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Capabilities?

We are looking into buying a new software, billing software that is, and want to know if you can run that on the same UNIX server as another major software? Is there a limit to the different types of software Unix can run, or is it like windows where you can install as many as you like? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoz
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question