Hp-ux

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hp-ux
# 1  
Old 05-30-2003
Hp-ux

I've been running RH for awhile, so the idea of Linux isn't very new to me. I've been looking around for new jobs and many companies are looking for HP-UX experience. Is HP-UX a free distro of UNIX? How much different is it from RH? Any advice or anything is welcome. Smilie
# 2  
Old 05-31-2003
HP-UX is not free. The basics are the same as RedHat (ls, cat, cd, etc). However, the kernel, disk management, etc are considerably different. It also does not run on x86 architechture (depending on how you classify Itanium).

There are some good books specific to HPUX, unfortunately I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

I don't know if I can offer any good advice on how to learn HPUX easily. It was just a progression for me. I started on AIX and Linux in college. My first job sent me to Solaris admin courses, and my current position has Tru64, Linux, Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX - All of which I must know to some degree. Usually if you get good at one or two, the others aren't too different and you can figure it out.
# 3  
Old 05-31-2003
I've also seen AIX around. What platform is that for? Is it free to download?
# 4  
Old 05-31-2003
Another one that is not free and runs on proprietary software like HP-UX. Tru64 is along those lines as well.
# 5  
Old 05-31-2003
Damn. Maybe I'll just stick with RH.
# 6  
Old 05-31-2003
Why not take a look at some of the *BSD's. They are free, based on BSD OS and will give you an insight into other types of Unix.
My preference is FreeBSD. Smilie
# 7  
Old 06-01-2003
Sounds like a good idea. How different is FreeBSD from RH?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Login or Register to Ask a Question