[Solved] Usage of shell commands inside a C program

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Usage of shell commands inside a C program
# 1  
Old 09-04-2013
[Solved] Usage of shell commands inside a C program

Hi

I have a program
Code:
int main(int srgc, char *argv[ ])
{
    for(int i=1; i<50; i++)
    {
            system("dd if=/dev/zero of=file$i bs=1024 count=$i");

}
return 0;
}

My doubt is how to use the "$i" value inside C code

Please help
# 2  
Old 09-04-2013
Try something like:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int srgc, char *argv[ ])
{
    char        cmd[64];
    int         i;

for(i = 1; i < 50; i++) {
        sprintf(cmd, "dd if=/dev/zero of=file%d bs=1024 count=%d", i, i);
        system(cmd);
    }
    return 0;
}

Obviously, you should be checking the return codes from sprintf() and system() for errors. And, unless you're using sprintf() to produce strings where you know that the output will never be longer than your buffer, you should use snprintf() instead. But, for demonstration purposes, I hope this helps.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:
# 3  
Old 09-04-2013
It worked.. Thanks
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

RMAN commands inside crontab shell script

Hello I'm trying to write simple script to delete archive logs for RMAN, unfortunately it's not working, I tried two way to do that: #!/bin/ksh echo "Start ....." rman target=/ << EOF RUN { delete force noprompt archivelog until time 'sysdate-10'; } EXIT; EOF echo "END ..." echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Run multiple commands in invoked program

Hi, I have coded a program in Haskell using the compiler Hugs and the program requires multiple commands (with parameters) to be entered into it, it then outputs the result of its execution. I need to test a lot of different options (i.e. the parameters) so it would be obvious to automate the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tz742
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple ssh commands inside a shell simultaneously

I would like to execute a commands in four different servers through ssh at a single instance(simultaneously). Below are the details with examples, ssh user1@server1 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server2 "grep xxxx logs" ssh user1@server3 "grep xxxx logs" Each statement will take some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating execution of commands inside a program

I have a program dnapars I execute the program from command line as following: ./dnapars The program then prompts me some message as a user menu from where I have to select a series of options in the order R U Y R. And then I copy the output file (outfile) in another result file. I wrote the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptisjains
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Usage solved

How can I find the biggest file in a branch? I tried find / \*.\* | xargs du | sort -n 1,1 | head 1 but shell do nothings :( ---------- Post updated at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:41 PM ---------- Solved: find / -name \*.\* | xargs du | sort -nr | head -n 1 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix commands failing inside the shell script

When my script deals with large input files like 22Gb or 18 GB the basic commands like sort or join fails when run from inside the shell scripts. Can there be any specific reason for this? For e.g. sort -u -t "," -k1,1 a.csv > a.csv.uniq" sort -u -t "," -k1,1 b.csv > b.csv.uniq" The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esha
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ftp commands inside shell script? Help please

Dears, I'm new in shell scripting and i need your help, i would like to know how can i create a script to ftp to a certain unix/linux machine/server IP address and get a file for example without user intervention? How can i force the script to use a certain username and password to access this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
4 Replies

8. Programming

Usage of exit() inside a signal handler

Is it ok to use exit() inside a signal handler? I catch SIGUSR1 in a signal handler and I try to close a file and then exit. The result is inconsistent. Sometimes the process exit and sometimes it returns to the original state before the signal handler was invoked. Perhaps exit is not legal in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuvia
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run unix commands in a new shell inside a shell script?

Hi , I am having one situation in which I need to run some simple unix commands after doing "chroot" command in a shell script. Which in turn creates a new shell. So scenario is that - I need to have one shell script which is ran as a part of crontab - in this shell script I need to do a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hkapil
2 Replies

10. Programming

shell commands in c program

Hi All, I want to include some shell commands in my c program in linux. please help.. thanks in advance esham (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question